any ideas for davit(s) able to support up to 2000 lbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidAlan

46ft marine trader. hoping someone will help me with any ideas on whether I might be able to use an 1800lb 17ft boat as a tender. Any help, would be greatly appreciated, Kind regards, and Thanks in advance:Thanx:

That is a really big, heavy tender for a 46' boat. From my non-naval architect perspective, you wouldn't want that on the flybridge for 2 reasons. The weight would significantly effect the "stability" of the vessel (top heavy) and your flybridge isnt built to take that much load. Also, you wouldn't want that on the stern either (too heavy). Only way I see to use that tender is to tow it with a bridle behind the boat.

I have a 16' Bayliner I/O I carry. I use a truck crane that can lift 8' out from the base. The kind of crane you see on utility beds. It lifts further but the boat at longer reaches is over the rating. It's 12v and powered up, down and rotate. Comes with a long cord. I bought a sling that boat launching sites use. When I load, I have the sling in the water, drive over it and attach so the slink can't slip. Grab the controller and ride up with the boat. One man operation.

I got mine from royce-918 on ebay. He's in Oklahoma. I think with shipping I paid about $5g. A marine crane was about 30Gs. I think royce sells new cranes and takes in old ones and rebuilds them. My crane weighs about 800 pounds.

And you can buy bigger ones. You need good support for 1800 pounds.

46ft marine trader. hoping someone will help me with any ideas on whether I might be able to use an 1800lb 17ft boat as a tender. Any help, would be greatly appreciated, Kind regards, and Thanks in advance:Thanx:

The advice from Taras is good advice. You will need to tow it. Consider a small console rib on a stern tilt davit on the swim step. It’s easy to launch and retrieve, even when you’re in your slip.

I’ve towed a 27’ I/O with a 42’ trawler a couple times, with even a 13’ whaler behind that at the same time. Across the gulf stream on hundred mile passages. Lots of folks tow 30’ open fish CC down here with large sportfish doing high 20’s kts speed. They use reinforced bow tow eyes.
As always, the weather is what makes or breaks such activities. Consider a thunderstorm squall with 8’ breaking seas.
Self bailing, large scuppers, unsinkable, and a certain amount of outright luck need be on your side.

:):)
46ft marine trader. hoping someone will help me with any ideas on whether I might be able to use an 1800lb 17ft boat as a tender on stern (not on flybridge). Any help, would be greatly appreciated, Kind regards, and Thanks in advance:Thanx:

Back
Top Bottom