For the love of a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
Since I am a complete newbie to this group, I have spent quite some time looking over past posts, trying to get a feel for what trawler people talk about. One interesting thing that I saw pop up several places is the complaint about not getting what a boat is worth when you want to sell it. I certainly found that to be true when I put my 39-foot sailboat on the market. I figured it was worth a good $60,000. Well, no. Not even close! I finally sold it for $18,000, and then only when I agreed to finance part of that. But I actually feel good about the sale, because I sold it to someone who loves the boat, realizes that although it is an old boat (1973) it is well built and a has good name (Allied Mistress), and also appreciates how much money I had put into it and how much work I had put into it. So, bottom line is that she (yep, sold it a person of the female persuasion) loves the boat as much as I do, and that makes me feel warm. Now that I am looking for a older used trawler, I hope to do the same thing. To me, an old boat that has been cared for and appreciated is valuable beyond just dollars and cents, and I want both the buyer and the seller to feel good about the deal we make.

John

Boaty karma.Do good things and good things happen to you.

The time you spend working on your boat is not deducted from your lifetime.

In that case, I should live a long, long time.

Tell me about it! We just lowered the price on our fully restored 1983 Monk 36. I have countless hours of labor and love into her and tons of $$$ but I still love her and someone will get a great deal. The market is in the tank- best result is finding someone who will love and be a steward of the vessel you are selling and have that same love.

Back
Top Bottom