Can a gear puller be used to extract Impellers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streff

Vessel Make
Californian 45 MY
I am waiting on an impeller-pulling tool to arrive, it’s still on back order. In the meantime my next door Neighbor in the marina handed me a gear puller to do use. Having never used/held an impeller tool, I am wondering if a gear puller can work if it’s the right size.

Thanks

Streff

The gear puller might be too big.
If you have room try a pair of needle nose pliers on a vane on each side of the hub. Don’t pry out with screwdrivers!!! It tears up the soft bronze gasket surface.

Last edited:
Pulled mine last week with channel loc pliers. Grab, twist and pull. Maybe some wd40 to help it slide out.

Where in the PNW are you located?

Dawn on a toothbrush or wd40. Lube it up good. Rotate engine a bit, dont start it. With the lube smeared around, grab it with pliers of best flavor sizing, and pull. It will come out.

You can use a cheap battery clamp puller. Sharpen the jaws to a dull point . Cost about $10.00

The gear puller might be too big.
If you have room try a pair of needle nose pliers on a vane on each side of the hub. Don’t pry out with screwdrivers!!! It tears up the soft bronze gasket surface.

That's the best way w/o a puller.

Put waterproof grease on the shaft and next time it will come out easier. Enough grease survives. If you grease the inside of the impeller housing and end plate, it will create better suction for the first start and protect the impeller from burning the vane ends.

If you watch one of the last three or four sailing project adicus videos he uses a gear puller, small one, and had to take grinder to cut off shafts a bit to get it to work right, might check it out, but it worked pretty slick.

I use screwdrivers on opposite sides of the impeller, inch it on out.

pete

I am waiting on an impeller-pulling tool to arrive, it’s still on back order. In the meantime my next door Neighbor in the marina handed me a gear puller to do use. Having never used/held an impeller tool, I am wondering if a gear puller can work if it’s the right size.

Thanks

Streff

What engine do you have?

Check your new impeller and see if it has threads, if so, run down to the local hardware store and match them up. Then just tighten the bolt up and it will pop the impeller out. Hint, make sure the threads are long enough to insure removal.

Careful with this technique(screw drivers). It is very easy to damage the thin cross section adjacent to the Oring groove with anything steel.

Thanks

Streff

Stop wondering, just try it. Then you will know.

Someone in your marina probably has an actual impeller removal tool that you can borrow. Ask around.

In some cases, you can just pull it out with pliers. Try different types of pliers and see if one will work.

Have used long, 90 degree, bent nose pliers. Use with a small wood shim to leverage against pump housing.

Great and timely question for me. I've never replace my impellers myself, always had a tech do it and I've never had one not complain about how horrible mine are to do. Very large impellers and poor access for tools.

One challenge on mine apparently is the way the vanes are spread means a two arm impeller puller can't grab both sides evenly. Was wondering the same thing about the gear puller which would have 3 arms.

Dawn on a toothbrush or wd40. Lube it up good. Rotate engine a bit, dont start it. With the lube smeared around, grab it with pliers of best flavor sizing, and pull. It will come out.

Pay attention to this part. The key is to get the lube down between the vanes and then rotate a bit with the starter to distribute the lube. It will come out with a fraction of the effort required otherwise. You usually won’t even need a puller if you do this part correctly. If you skip/ignore this part, then you have to muscle it out with pullers etc. This is a pro tip that shouldn’t be overlooked or underestimated.

I use synthetic grease and then lube the new impeller with the same stuff when installing, and it also pops in with a fraction of the effort required otherwise. Dish soap works on a new impeller also, but probably best to avoid WD or other petroleum based lubes on the new part due to issues of compatibility with the rubber.

With my current pump all I do is take the cover off and then while holding the stop button so the engine doesn't start I just turn the engine over a couple of revolutions and the the impeller comes half way out and I can remove it with my fingers.

Why the twist, to break free the vanes.
Yup. The rotor is a tight squeeze in my old Jabsco. The new one came with vane lube that worked great, I just twisted it in by hand.

My advantage was the pump was in a vise on the bench. Doing this on the engine can be much tougher.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom