VHF: Standard Horizon GX1400G VS Icom M330G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbman

Guru
Vessel Name
Second Chance
Vessel Make
42' Uniflite Double Cabin
I'm looking for opinions on these two entry level GPS enabled, DSC capable VHF radios. They both have the same basic feature set, similar price point and capabilities. I've read the manuals for both.

They both have:
  • Standard VHF functions and channels
  • DSC Capable, built in GPS receiver
  • External speaker connection
  • NMEA 0183 In/Out to connect to chartplotter
  • Dual and Tri watch/scan functions
  • WX channels
  • Non removable microphone

GX1400G Specifics:
  • Individual Volume/Control knobs (no knob for menu controls)
  • Built in GPS antenna (external optional... con)
  • Wide DSC feature set

M330G Specifics:
  • External GPS antenna included
  • Menu selections via rotary knob (knob has three functions... also a con)

On the GX1400G I like the dual knobs dedicated to the volume and squelch. It has far more DSC functions and they seem pretty easy to use. I can see that entering MMSI numbers and changing channels will be more trouble on it because there is no knob to scroll through the selections, you have to press up/down/left/right buttons.

The 300G has a multifunction knob that works in menus and should make selecting things faster, but it also hides the squelch and volume functions within the same knob. The DSC functions are very basic and seem harder to use.

Initially this will be my only fixed radio and will be mounted at the inside helm. When I add a second fixed radio, it will be a more advanced unit and this one will move to the flybridge.

Both are made by well known manufacturers with good reputation. Does anyone have personal experience with either of these radios? What do you like or not like about them in real world usage?

I think you can't go wrong with either. I'd go with the SH based on the buttonology.

I'm not one to skimp of the safety gear- I'd recommend you increase the budget a bit and get a radio that is remote mic equipped, and get the remote mic kit. That way, you can mount the radio hard at one location, and run the remote mic to the other helm station.

On out boat, we have identical SH radios- one mounted at each station (upper and lower), and its corresponding remote mic run to the opposite station.

Added 2 antennas, and we have 100% VHF redundancy.

i have the gx1400 and had no issues entering MMSI #.

I like the radio

I think you can't go wrong with either. I'd go with the SH based on the buttonology.

I'm not one to skimp of the safety gear- I'd recommend you increase the budget a bit and get a radio that is remote mic equipped, and get the remote mic kit. That way, you can mount the radio hard at one location, and run the remote mic to the other helm station.

On out boat, we have identical SH radios- one mounted at each station (upper and lower), and its corresponding remote mic run to the opposite station.

Added 2 antennas, and we have 100% VHF redundancy.

A second radio is definitely on the short list. Depending on the brand of the lower end model that I choose, the second will be the same brand and each with their own antenna. I've got a handheld that will be on board as well. I'm not a big fan of the remote mics, but it would certainly be a nice feature if you had to cover one location with the other.

We have a standard GX2150 as the main VHF with the built-in hailer/foghorn. It has a designated knob for the channels, volume & squelch. I'm happy with it. Our second radio on the bridge was an Icom M304. When the mic went bed, I replaced the radio with the Icom M330. It is about the worst radio I've ever owned regarding the channel/volume & squelch. The squelch is accessed by pressing the volume knob, the channels are changed via little up/down buttons & the weather plus other functions are accessed by scrolling through the options with the left/right buttons and then pushing the hard-to-see softkeys on the bottom of the screen. If I did it again, I would definitely buy another Standard with the separate squelch control. The new Icoms ,with their menu-driven buttons, are a disappointment.

We have a standard GX2150 as the main VHF with the built-in hailer/foghorn. It has a designated knob for the channels, volume & squelch. I'm happy with it. Our second radio on the bridge was an Icom M304. When the mic went bed, I replaced the radio with the Icom M330. It is about the worst radio I've ever owned regarding the channel/volume & squelch. The squelch is accessed by pressing the volume knob, the channels are changed via little up/down buttons & the weather plus other functions are accessed by scrolling through the options with the left/right buttons and then pushing the hard-to-see softkeys on the bottom of the screen. If I did it again, I would definitely buy another Standard with the separate squelch control. The new Icoms ,with their menu-driven buttons, are a disappointment.

That's some great feedback thank you. I have Yaesu (standard horizon) radios for HAM use and tend to like them better than ICOM for menu navigation. I have an icom handheld ham radio that has the squelch hidden behind a menu and it's a pain, that's why the multi function knob on the Icom jumped out at me.

Pau Hana has me thinking maybe I just start with a GX2400, it's only $100 more than the 1400. The 2400 seems like a sweet spot of price and features with remote mics available in either hardwire or wireless plus a built in AIS receiver and AIS target/DSC calling.

If you don't need the built in AIS receiver on the GX2400, take a look at the GX1800 / 1850. I've got a pair of the GX1850 internal GPS units at my helm (with remote mics in the salon) and I've been quite happy with them. They're a lot cheaper than the GX2400, but they do give up a few features.

The 1800/1850 only support the wired remote mics, not the wireless ones, they don't have the loud hailer function, no AIS receiver, and no voice scrambler. On top of that, they're different shaped, plus the 2400 has a channel select knob, the lower end models only have the up/down buttons (although the remote mics do have the knob). The 1800/1850 are taller, but less deep than the 1400 and 2400, so depending on your mounting spot, one may fit better than the other.

At the price of the GX2400, take a look at the GX6000. It's barely more expensive (looks like about $25 more) and has some extra features, such as supporting 2 wired remote mics.

Last edited:
Pau Hana has me thinking maybe I just start with a GX2400, it's only $100 more than the 1400. The 2400 seems like a sweet spot of price and features with remote mics available in either hardwire or wireless plus a built in AIS receiver and AIS target/DSC calling.

If you don't have an AIS transceiver, this feature is huge. And you, in SoCal? highly valuable, i'd say.

... take a look at the GX1800 / 1850.
At the price of the GX2400, take a look at the GX6000. ...

If you don't have an AIS transceiver, this feature is huge. And you, in SoCal? highly valuable, i'd say.

Oh no! Too many options!

I do like the option to connect the main mic to the back of the GX6000 and extend it down to the helm some of the other features it has over the 2400 I don't see using, but it's only $25 more right? With an overhead mount, that back panel mic plug would be ideal, and it still supports multiple remotes on top of that.

I would think that a top of the line radio would have a handheld mic with a numeric keypad to input channels and MMSI's. But I don't see that with ANY marine radio.

Does anyone use the voice scrambler feature? What's the use case for that? I understand what it does, but in the real world does it get any use?

In my mind, the scrambler feature is kinda a gimmick. And yeah, I see the 6000 as a better deal than the 2400. But in general, I'm quite happy with my 1850s at just over half the price of the 6000. The only thing I occasionally wish for is a hailer, but it's not that important. And maybe the ability to have 2 remote mics on a unit might be handy, but I'm not sure where I'd put a second set.

In my mind, the scrambler feature is kinda a gimmick. And yeah, I see the 6000 as a better deal than the 2400. But in general, I'm quite happy with my 1850s at just over half the price of the 6000. The only thing I occasionally wish for is a hailer, but it's not that important. And maybe the ability to have 2 remote mics on a unit might be handy, but I'm not sure where I'd put a second set.

Agreed on the gimmick.

The guys I fish with used to use the scramble feature, but quickly changed by adding a separate 2 meter radio and using that for secure comms well off the VHF band.

I recently bought the GX2400 to replace an ancient Icom. AIS receive connects to my Garmin MFD until I decide whether I want to transmit AIS. Big feature for me was the remote RAM microphone (which also shows AIS). Easily installed on the FB and has an intercom feature to talk with the main cabin. I've used the auto fog horn already this summer. I like the autolisten feature so that I can hear other horns.

Only weird thing is that the remote says don't plug it in when the radio is on. That means turning off main and going to the FB to turn on the microphone (which also turns on the lower radio). Need to remember to do that when heading to the FB to use the remote mike. Maybe pushing the mike on/off button with the main already on would turn it off? Not really a problem, just push it twice. Maybe the radio explodes?

I recently bought the GX2400 to replace an ancient Icom. AIS receive connects to my Garmin MFD until I decide whether I want to transmit AIS. Big feature for me was the remote RAM microphone (which also shows AIS). Easily installed on the FB and has an intercom feature to talk with the main cabin. I've used the auto fog horn already this summer. I like the autolisten feature so that I can hear other horns.

Only weird thing is that the remote says don't plug it in when the radio is on. That means turning off main and going to the FB to turn on the microphone (which also turns on the lower radio). Need to remember to do that when heading to the FB to use the remote mike. Maybe pushing the mike on/off button with the main already on would turn it off? Not really a problem, just push it twice. Maybe the radio explodes?

If you leave the remote mic plugged in, it turns on and off in unison with the main unit. You can turn both on or off from either one. So regardless of whether you turned it on from the button on the unit or the one on the remote mic, both should be on.

I am too looking at the 2400 model. Does it requires any addon to support wireless ram4? I read it requires SCU30 access point?

L

I am too looking at the 2400 model. Does it requires any addon to support wireless ram4? I read it requires SCU30 access point?

L

Yes it does require the SCU30 for wireless. I use the corded additional mic.

I ended up ordering a Standard Horizon GX1850. This was mostly based on availability, most radios are out of stock. This gives me the dual station capability I wanted and I already have a GPS so I can wire that to it for DSC and MOB functions.

I'll be adding a standalone AIS transceiver so I don't really need that function in the radio itself. When I add a second radio, it will probably be a GX2400 for the hailer function. I would have bought the 2400 right now, but stock is an issue at places that have reasonable prices, most places are out of stock and backordered for at least a month.

I ended up ordering a Standard Horizon GX1850. This was mostly based on availability, most radios are out of stock. This gives me the dual station capability I wanted and I already have a GPS so I can wire that to it for DSC and MOB functions.

I'll be adding a standalone AIS transceiver so I don't really need that function in the radio itself. When I add a second radio, it will probably be a GX2400 for the hailer function. I would have bought the 2400 right now, but stock is an issue at places that have reasonable prices, most places are out of stock and backordered for at least a month.

Great! I am just getting ready to do the same upgrade, my flybridge radio is dying and I have been shopping the GX1850. What did you do for an antenna?

Great! I am just getting ready to do the same upgrade, my flybridge radio is dying and I have been shopping the GX1850. What did you do for an antenna?

I'm using an existing antenna on the boat. My second station kit should arrive this week! The kits were on backorder when I purchased the radio itself.

Back
Top Bottom