IR Temp Monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dry Dock

Vessel Name
Never EZ
Vessel Make
Hatteras 42 LRC
Just looking for comments/opinions on the points/locations to perform IR temp checks on the engines while underway.

Seems a history of inlet/outlet temps of the oil cooler, transmission cooler and raw water heat exchanger would be a good diagnostic tool.

Thoughts/comments and crude remarks are always welcome.

Seems a history of inlet/outlet temps of the oil cooler, transmission cooler and raw water heat exchanger would be a good diagnostic tool.

All good locations. I would also add engine block points just below the injectors. Pick a spot at each cylinder where there is sufficient mass to give a stable reading.

Measuring the head exhaust ports will give you an indication that all cylinders are producing the same horsepower. On bigger engines we adjusted the injectors by exhaust port temps until all cylinders were making the same effort. I do that on my Detroits.

You want a reading as close to the temperature sending unit as possible. This will give you confidence in the gage reading.

You want a reading as close to the temperature sending unit as possible. This will give you confidence in the gage reading.

I just ordered an IR temp gun for this exact reason. My engines have both an electronic temp sensor that feeds the computer and mechanical one that feed the gauges. My Port engine is showing about 8 degrees difference between the two which are both located on the t-stat housing. Hoping to measure the temp at the sensor location and compare to the starboard engine where the temps read the same between the two sensors.

To produce accurate readings, you must shoot the target from a set distance, say 6”.
I have a white motor, so I’ve drawn circles with a magic marker that are my “targets”, and write the temp in the circle, so I know if anything is changing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom