Our first stink pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klheck

Hi, we've gone from owning blow boats, the last one a 25' Farrier trimaran my husband built 20 years ago that was getting a bit much for us to scramble around on, to a much more comfortable 37' Island Gypsy.

We are totally new at this so if anyone has developed pre and post trip check lists, I would love to see them, along with any helpful info you feel like sharing.

We have a slip in Rockland, ME and are looking forward to learning from you all and traveling in a straight line for a change!

Gotta say, using the word stink pot ring trues with some and insults others.....

I am sure you will get all the help you need here.... some pretty experienced folk....

Personally, I took it as humour. Send me a PM (private message) with your email address and I will send you some checklists.
Welcome aboard, and have fun!

Yeah, that stink pot attitude won’t get you very far.

They also called their old boat a "blow boat", so equal opportunity insulters!:D

From an owner of a different brand stink pot!:whistling:

We went from fast multis to powered vessels but went out of our way not to get a stink pot/boat

I always thought stink boats were the ones that could be heard well before they are seen, billowing exhaust and putting up a wave.

Welcome aboard. How about some photos of your new baby.

They also called their old boat a "blow boat", so equal opportunity insulters!:D

From an owner of a different brand stink pot!:whistling:

"Rag boat' would have been more self-deprecating. :) Oh, hi, welcome. Really, despite our "tude," you have come to the right place. You'll get used to us.

Personally, I took it as humour. Send me a PM (private message) with your email address and I will send you some checklists.
Welcome aboard, and have fun!
Gday Firehoser if possible would you be kind enough to send me some of those checklists as well. Please. I pm you. Cheers

Well, I would estimate that 90 plus percent of sailboats that I encounter driving up and down the SoCal coast are running their engine. Pot - kettle? But, I am not offended, as an ex sailboater like many others on here.

Hi, we've gone from owning blow boats, the last one a 25' Farrier trimaran my husband built 20 years ago that was getting a bit much for us to scramble around on, to a much more comfortable 37' Island Gypsy...
Welcome aboard! Familiar with the IG 32,36, 40, 44, etc but not a "37". Pics please, when you can.

No stink pot offense taken. The term is used commonly here by the sailors, sometimes even in jest.:eek:

As a reformed blow boater, I laughed at the stink potter reference. Gotta have a sense of humor. Especially in this day and age!

You will find LOTS of advice here. Some of it good, even! Though I will admit never being good at utilizing checklists. I always needed a checklist to remind me to use a checklist... LOL

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Welcome. Lots of sailors and former sailors here.

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here at TF. Folks have been very generous and kind with their information and advice for me when I made the transition from sail to power 4-5 years ago.

Former sailor too and give them a pass because of the blow boat reference. Lighten up Frances! (reference from movie "Stripes")

When I told my wife I wanted to move from sailboats to trawler, she said "You know, morally speaking those stinkpots don't smell as bad as they used to."

Remember, perception is everything.

Oldersalt

Welcome Aboard

Welcome aboard. My wife and i are also new "Stink pot: owners. No offense taken regarding that remark. We have saiked for 41 years and we finally came to the point in our lives where we said this saiking business is too much work. So, we bought a 1994 3850 Cruisers Yacht and just love it. This forum is just great for any questions regardless of the make and model of your vessel.

Well, thanks for your informative replies. I learned the blow boat/stinkpot nomeclature years ago from the instructor when I took my first US Power Squadron course. No judgement intended so, yeah, lighten up ?

Thanks. That's exactly the reason we switched. So far, so good and so like getting places traveling in a straight line!

Wife and I made the switch 3 years ago. It's good and bad. Nice to be able to get places in hours instead of days, but now (for me anyway) it's more about getting there than the joy of the travel. There is not much to do once you plot the course and set the autopilot except keep a watch for other boats and lobster pots, etc, and watch the water go by. Even traveling at a 15 knot cruise can seem slow after a few hours. Quite different than sailing at 7 knots and feeling like you are flying! I don't regret the change and still love boating, but it's just a different type of boating.

Last edited:
"Love the smell of diesel in the morning!" Congrats on your motor yacht!

Welcome aboard! Somewhere I have a cartoon that shows John Truesalt kneeling beside his bunk praying “Oh Lord, forgive me! I went out on a powerboat and liked it!”

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom