Tiling walls and floor inside a toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lghawk

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
48ft Trawler
Hey Guys!

Question, which may sound ridiculous....

I am building a new toilet up on deck, behind the wheel house. I wanted to get thoughts on tiling the floor and walls inside there. Has anyone done this before? Any success? Or is it a bad idea?

Cheers!

Lyndon.

Boats flex , tile doesn't , why not sheet goods ?

Light , waterproof and a nothing to change if you tire of the pattern.

Thanks FF.

That’s what I was thinking - the tiles may pop due to flexing.

What do you mean by “sheet goods”??

Cheers,

Lyndon.

There have been lots of boats that wind up tiling, even new build. I guess you have to look at where the flexing of the boat might be. Of course people never write or blog about how the project turned into a disaster.

I have read that people have used flexible caulk instead of grout....sounds like it might be at least a partial solution.

The previous owner of Sylphide installed lovely tile on the sole in both heads. I'm not sure how long it's been there, or what technique was used in installation, but there's no sign of any kind of failure. But then, she's built like a brick sh!thouse, so there's no flex to be found anywhere, really.

We are going to use the vinyl plank flooring in our new boat. It will flex just fine. For backsplash in our last boat we used vinyl subway tile with PSA backing. It worked great and also will flex as well as go onto curved bulkheads. Go it from Home Depot. Attached is a photo of the vinyl wall tiles.

Attachments

• 8D4E89D1-DBB7-4EFE-B47E-8711CDC0E4A8.jpg
    8D4E89D1-DBB7-4EFE-B47E-8711CDC0E4A8.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 11

Top grade linoleum. Glue it down , peal it up for next new look

Search,
Shop linoleum sheet flooring

Last edited:

Top grade linoleum. Glue it down , peal it up for next new look

Search,
Shop linoleum sheet flooring

Try to get a perimeter glue system if you go this route. Much easier to replace at a later date. Cut slightly bigger as it will shrink a bit when glued.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom