What happened to NWCruising.net?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
I have used the distance tables on that website for years. Tried to check it today and got an error message. Anyone know what happened to it, or where a similar resource could be found?

The time and distance chart on NWCruising.net is much better. I printed it out and it went on for pages, put it in a binder and keep it at the boat. The reason it is better is that there are many more places listed from Olympia to SE Alaska.

The time and distance chart on NWCruising.net is much better. I printed it out and it went on for pages, put it in a binder and keep it at the boat. The reason it is better is that there are many more places listed from Olympia to SE Alaska.

Well, it's not better at the moment as it's not reachable. Not better for other places either. Of course a local time and distance chart is more complete. I just offered an option if it doesn't resurface. The site is now resolving to justhost.com.

Yeah, fortunately I had printed out some of the pages. It was really excellent for the Puget Sound area. It would be nice if someone could take over those pages.

Thanks for the link BandB. I’ll take a look.

My understanding is that the original owner, Capt. Carl Tenning, is/was trying to sell the site (at least the domain) and information. I would imagine that he's found the information to be of value, but not necessarily the .net domain. Wouldn't be surprised if the Waggoner Cruising Guide is looking into purchasing it...

My understanding is that the original owner, Capt. Carl Tenning, is/was trying to sell the site (at least the domain) and information. I would imagine that he's found the information to be of value, but not necessarily the .net domain. Wouldn't be surprised if the Waggoner Cruising Guide is looking into purchasing it...

And the .com version of nwcruising is for sale for $2400. Waggoner would certainly be logical. Of course, each day down lessens the value.

The distances between ports is interesting, but I can lay down a route in Coastal Explorer and learn everything I need to know including rocks and currents. I can’t say I’d ever use if it was available.

Jim

Inadvertently unsubscribed from this thread and hoping this will bring it back.

Last edited:
dhays said:
I’m curious who the kind soul is that salvaged that information and made it available?
Though I know Dick about how it works, I suspect it was just a web address change. Domain? Is that what you call it?

BandB, thanks for finding and posting that link.

I’m curious who the kind soul is that salvaged that information and made it available?

Apparently they owned several domains and just let the .net go. I don't know beyond that.

nwcruising.net

This domain is being transferred to a new host. Just getting too much for me to handle. The original version is still available at salishseacruising.com
Hope this helps.
Carl Tenning

This domain is being transferred to a new host. Just getting too much for me to handle. The original version is still available at salishseacruising.com
Hope this helps.
Carl Tenning

Hello Carl,

I've never had the pleasure of meeting you but thank you so much for those distance tables. I use them a LOT. They are a real service to those of us that cruise the Puget Sound.

Hope this helps.
Carl Tenning

Capt. Carl -

I would also like to say THANK YOU for all the hard work you did in compiling cruising distances and times for the PNW! I use it often in my route planning.

Hope this helps.
Carl Tenning

Your work has been one of the most useful quick references I have experienced in my boating life. It has been listed in my favorites of every device I have owned for quite some time.
Thank you very much for putting this boaters reference for our geography together and so generously making it available to all of us.

Best of luck with what is next.

Hope this helps.
Carl Tenning

I'm sure they all appreciate what you've done. Guess that means you're not going to do it similarly for the rest of the world? lol

Back
Top Bottom