Mainship 430 refrigerator/freezer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rick H

We currently have 2 (2-3 cu. ft each) refrigerator/freezer units stacked on top of each other. Thinking of replacing with 1 (8-9 cu ft) refrigerator/freezer unit. Anyone have knowledge with this project? Thanks in advance.

I would only consider a marine DC powered Danfoss compressor fridge. These are much more efficient than an inverter powered AC residential fridge, although the inverter designs have been adopted by some residential fridges.

Can't recommend one brand over the other.

David

refrigerator

Here's what I installed. It's a Vitrifrigo DP2600 dual voltage. A friend just picked up a 12 volt refer from Home Depot online. I don't know the brand, but it looks pretty good.

Attachments

• refrigerator.jpg
    refrigerator.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 14
Did you have any problems I should be aware of pulling out the original two fridges? Also, was it easy to remove the shelf the upper fridge set on? Thanks in advance!!

The on line specs for the dp2600 show a height of 53 5/16. I believe (not currently on the boat) the opening for the refrigerator is close to or over 60", but your dp2600 looks like (in the pic) it fills up the entire opening. Am I missing something? Thanks again for helping us!!

Our boat came with a GE 10 cu ft AC only refer. There was no shelf to take out. I built a small shelf to raise the Vitrifrigo up to the top of the opening and installed a small fan at the bottom. The Vitrifrigo has a terminal on the back to run the fan when the refer is running. If your boat is an aft cabin, like ours, you will have to remove the door to the aft deck to get the new one in. It's not that hard and it's a good time to replace the door rollers if they are old. You can send me a PM if you want any information.

What is involved in taking the door off to replace the rollers?

door rollers

The door slides under a removable cover. It only opens 19 inches, but the opening is wider with the door removed. The door runs on 4 rollers, called trucks, that have 4 small wheels. To remove the cover you take off the propane locker, if equipped, and remove all the screws. Then use a putty knife to cut any sealant. The screws for the top trucks are visible in the top of the door. The bottom of the door sits in a channel and the trucks are attached to the channel. There are screws in the channel that go through the door with removable nuts on the inside of the door. You have to remove the nuts, and then lift the door out of the channel. Unscrew the trucks from the channel and slide the trucks all the way to the right and remove. In the picture the door is just left of the stairs to the flybridge. The removable panel is on the left. The boarding ladder is sitting in a holder that is attached to the cover.

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom