Mid50s life change...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychowolff

Hey all!!

Been wanting to go RVing/Live Aboard a trawler for many years now. Well... That Time is Now... Retired Military Bachelor with no children. Parentless now and selling my home on a Market HIGH! 27' RV ready to go but no Boat...

Looking for advice going into it. What to be aware of and all the little things that Really matter but arnt mentioned. Like Seasickness... How do I get time on a boat to find out? Buy that 100k Grand Banks and cant stand to be on open water for an hour?? LoL

Im going to scout around the forum and see what I can find.

Thanks!
Mike

Welcome aboard. Try chartering a trawler for a week or two. I believe Southwest Florida Charters, or something like that, do charters and training if you need it.

"Try chartering a trawler for a week or two." :thumb: This..! Welcome to TF. More advice than you can shake a stick at on here... :flowers:

The housing market is high and hot right now..but, so is the boat market. It's probably a wash/ The good point is that interest rate is low.

pete

Don’t laugh. People move on boats all the time only to move off in less than a year. Try a charter first.

At about a grand a day. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a beat up boat and Upgrade after I'm done 'beating and learning' on it? You wouldnt lose $10k if you buy carefully.

Boats and Everything are up right now. But that is going to Pop pretty soon! THEN ill be investing. ��

To find out if you're susceptible to sea sickness try offshore sport fishing. Book a room at a place like Westport Washington. Go out on some fishing trips. You'll be out half a day or more. Come back with fresh fish and knowing about your reaction to rocking and rolling.

In your last post you used the word investment. In financial terms personal boats are an expense.

The person who says, "I dont get seasick", should say, "I haven't gotten seasick yet." It's gonna happen. It wont kill you and you will eventually get used to the motion. Once you get used to the motion of the boat, you will have difficulty walking on shore. WINK

At about a grand a day. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a beat up boat and Upgrade after I'm done 'beating and learning' on it? You wouldnt lose $10k if you buy carefully.

Boats and Everything are up right now. But that is going to Pop pretty soon! THEN ill be investing. ��

Poor logic. A $10,000 boat will most likely get stuck to the dock and cost you much more than a grand a day.

Boating is rarely cheap.

You can make a profit on used boats, but it’s tough and takes a lot of knowledge. I’ve done it a couple of times. However that never accounts for the huge number of man hours you’ll put in. Still, it’s quite satisfying to own and use a boat for whatever length of time and when you sell you’re NOT losing tons of money

Old dan... Thats another issue. Getting used to the rolling/constant motion... with bad knees.

Portage... I like the idea of the Fidhing trip �� I can easily justify That! LOL... I'm just using the financial term in general. IMO- Expense is more a Non-returned money transfer, like Food or Utilities while in an Investment the purchased item isnt expended. (Well, not completely!) I know they can be money pits and cost a lot to upkeep sometimes. But so can Homes. Boats have Storage and Dock fees. Houses have utilities and taxes... ��

Tiltrider... you missunderstood me. If I find a deal on a beater and have 'invested' 50k over a year and sell it for 40k. IMO That 10k expenditure is a much better value than a week on a Charter. And as OD said 'Everyone gets Seasick...' So I take Portages advice and take a Fishing trip to see 'How touchy' I am to getting it.

Onto Boats... I like the Grand Banks look. But then I come across a mid 80's Bluewater Yacht trawler. I liked the low ride, the rear open deck and stuff. My only issue is the dual DetroitDiesel 8L motors- Im not looking for 500HP and I read up that if abused, they can be damaged easily/over heat/headgasket issues... HOW do you guys decide??? SO many styles and models out there!

Well... I appreciate the pointers guys, but back to getting the house cleared out and on the market.

The person who says, "I dont get seasick", should say, "I haven't gotten seasick yet." It's gonna happen. It wont kill you and you will eventually get used to the motion.

Not sure I agree. Have been offshore and in 30ft seas and haven't gotten seasick yet.

Only time I ever threw up on a "machine" was sitting on a moped in Saigon. After an hour of 2-stroke scooter exhaust in my lungs I couldn't handle it anymore.

Sorry, but that approach, even with the intention to buy carefully, will cost you a lot of money and even then probably won't give you a safe and serviceable boat. The cost of chartering will look like much the better plan in hindsight. In boats you can put lipstick on a pig but it still goes oink.

Last edited:
+1 on chartering. My wife and I have been chartering to get a better feel for the type of boat we'd like to own in the future which is quickly approaching in our case. We have split up our charters 50/50 where we are alone part of the time then we may have friends or family on board for a couple nights. It's given us a great baseline for what works for us. I consider the cost a fair trade for knowledge gained. There are a lot of costs to keeping boat in top shape on top of the fixed costs like moorage and insurance. Don't understatement the cost of boat ownership if you like to keep your stuff we'll maintained. A run down boat could be cheap to keep if you're okay with stuff not working.

I would try to crew on a boat as a volunteer first. You'd probably learn more that chartering and no cost to you. Absorb all you can

Tiltrider... you missunderstood me. If I find a deal on a beater and have 'invested' 50k over a year and sell it for 40k. IMO That 10k expenditure is a much better value than a week on a Charter. And as OD said 'Everyone gets Seasick...' So I take Portages advice and take a Fishing trip to see 'How touchy' I am to getting it.

I’m saying you will buy the boat for $50,000. It will break, you will spend another $25,000 and if you don’t like it you will sell it for $45,000 but after you pay commission you will get $40,00 and the whole experience will have cost you $35,000. You are not figuring in moorage, taxes, insurance and other miscellaneous. After you figure in everything you will see that a charter is actually a very fair price.

Welcome to the forum!! You will get all kinds of advice here, most of it very good, even if it is not what you want to hear. :)
First off, Thank You for your Service!
Now my 2 cents worth..... From what I can gather from your posts, you don't even yet have an idea of what you want, and certainly not what you need. Slow down a bit, especially since you seem to thing you won't be buying for a bit due to market conditions improving. That may happen, and I think it will (buyer's perspective).
First step is look around at the many makes, model, and sizes of boats. Walk the docks, talk to boaters, ask questions about likes and dislikes, how they use their boat, etc. Try to talk to liveaboards for the pros and cons. Get an idea of what you like. At the same time think about what you want in a boat, especially with how you are going to use it in your mind. Make lists like: Must have features, Nice to have features, and Do not want features. For me (and boating can be very personal), a few things on my do not want list were: screwed down teak decks (leaks and can be maintenance heavy), exterior wood work (nice to look at but lots of work), and twin engines (cramped engine rooms, access for maintenance can be difficult, and more expensive to maintain and repair).
It sounds like you have not been on boats much. So get some training. There are boating schools, the US Power and Sail Squadron, etc. where you can do that.
Next, after you have a better idea of what kind of boat MIGHT suit you and your ideas of how you want to use it, charter a boat of that type. Tiltrider1 has given good advice about not buying first, but chartering. You might try the fishing trip idea ahead of the training part to get a feel for boat motion, etc. and to ensure that boating could be for you.
After all that, armed with your new knowledge about boating and especially how you plan to boat, you are as ready as you can be (in a relatively short time frame) to start looking at boats to buy.

This will ensure that you have the best chance to "be happy" with your choices. Doing much less, especially rushing in, will probably prove to be very expensive, and leave you at least somewhat unhappy.
As an analogy, take buying a car. All types out there. Do you need (want) a McLaren or a Honda Civic. Well depends on many things, but certainly on how you are going to use it! If you are mainly a commuter to work for a short distance with a couple of car pool friends, then the Civic wins hands down!
Owning a boat, especially an older boat that has had a questionable service history (most boats have little in the way of a service history in my experience), can end up being very expensive in either time, money, or both. Don't spend more than you need to.
Good luck.

Onto Boats... I like the Grand Banks look. But then I come across a mid 80's Bluewater Yacht trawler. I liked the low ride, the rear open deck and stuff. My only issue is the dual DetroitDiesel 8L motors- Im not looking for 500HP and I read up that if abused, they can be damaged easily/over heat/headgasket issues... HOW do you guys decide??? SO many styles and models out there!

Go to some marinas walk the docks and be the friendly inquisitive type.

People like to talk about their boats and often have varying, but strong opinions.

Like this one.

In my opinion Bluewater Yachts are neither bluewater or yacht. There is a big stretch between a Grand Banks and a Bluewater Yacht. I may be dead wrong, but they look like pointy ended houseboats; which removes one of the better attributes of houseboats, the big front deck/porch on the scow shaped hull.

That said, I really have nothing against houseboats. They are perfect for the rivers and big lakes of the US, and would really make a great liveaboard, in the right location.

OK, let's address this seasick think quickly. You could pick a bad day doing a fishing charter and be sick not realizing that virtually all us trawler/ex-trawler owners avoid poor conditions like the plague. Many of us cruise only inland waters most if not all the time, rarely venturing offshore. There are plenty of ways, as mentioned to get a variety of waterborne experiences to test your susceptibility to mal-de-mer. I have a brother-in-law who cannot step aboard a boat in the calmest of conditions without getting wuzzy; you could test yourself for this extreme condition by walking the marina piers and maybe getting an invite to look around a vessel. I once commanded a 205-foot long Navy salvage tug out of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and if we spent a week or so in port and then had to go out for something like a target towing job for a day or so, half of my 69-man crew would take a seasick pill from the doc before we got underway because the waters out there are ROUGH. However, once we deployed to the western Pacific and stayed pretty busy, everybody was fine except one guy who got so sick in a several day storm the corpsman had to sedate him - we discharged him permanently ashore once we got to port.

Wifey B: Well, you're trying to live up to your name. :rofl:

Beating and learning costs a lot along the way. Buy for $50k spend $40k and sell for $40k is a more likely scenario. And whose lives do you endanger while beating and learning. Perhaps spend time on charters and get some training.

What makes you think you know when the market is going to pop. I thought long ago and so I've been wrong every day for months. And then the "Investing" word. Omg, investing? No, it's funding a hobby, it's spending. There is nothing in it to call investing. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Sorry to be harsh, but you really need some reality checks. :eek:

As to seasickness, I've never been but then took meds at first and every boat I've been on is well stabilized. :)

You're unwilling to spend on a charter, then have fun spending much more than that on a boat and this beater boat you're going to invest in isn't going to tell you what boating is like, just what trying to work on an old piece of junk is like. You're likely to find yourself hating it without ever really doing any boating. :rolleyes:

Everyone (almost) is giving you sound advice when they say "Dont do it."
You asked for advice, you got it.
Your money, your decision.
Perhaps, more importantly the investment of your time.

Firehoser & 007. Those are the pointers I am looking for. I stopped at Silver Bay Marina a few weeks ago (allowed to walk the docks, not a locked and gated area) and chatted with a few owners about why they chose thier boats and pointers on liveaboard. A few trawler types to look at. Im still getting my house on the market before I can buy anything. Plus I want my land down SE USA on the river where I can moor my boat, pull it if desired. Wrap it and goto Ireland for a year... NOT looking to buy right now. But you Cant Dictate Love, can ya??

(Oh... i want the Mclaren@Civic pricing lol)

I'll try to put a pic of the bluewater I saw. As mentioned, luv the flat open layout and wood work. 2 Owners. Looks good. But worried about 'taiwan build' and the motors fuel use. Twin big turbo'd diesels for chugging along at 8k... a mile or two per gallon is too much for me but repowering? OUCH! I have done a car but never knew a boat is SO much more detailed and costly! But... This boat is pretty sweet digitally and Im going to tour it and 'walk the docks' a bit this weekend. Check for that Spark of Love in person LOL

The 42' blue water with the big V8 diesels.

Attachments

• 20210714_095715.jpg
    20210714_095715.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 26

Completely different than what I envisioned. I must've mixed it up with another brand of a similar or same name that used to exist in the 80's. See photo. (ugh)

My bad.

That's a nice looking boat, but more sportfish than trawler.

Carry on!

Attachments

• BWY.JPG
    BWY.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The Bluewater is not built to take the same waters a heavy trawler like a Grand Banks or even the Taiwan built copies can handle with aplomb because it is essentially a shallow draft inland/ICW sort of boat. Sure, it can go coastal, but with greater care given to weather restrictions. You would be banging away in tooth-rattling thumps in a BW well before you would in a trawler. Speaking of engines with more power than needed, the big engine pushing x pounds of hull at less than hull speed will burn about the same fuel a smaller engine will at the same boat speed - it's called physics. An example is the 315 HP Yanmar diesel in my current boat, a 30-foot Mainship Pilot. At 7 MPH it burns about 1.5 GPH while at 16 MPH it burns 9 GPH. After an hour or two of going slow, I blow it out for a bit at higher speeds. The two engines in my GB42 had a grand total of 240 HP pushing that boat at 9 MPH using 3.25 GPH, but there was no getting up and running to or from something if I needed to in that trawler. Pluses and minuses abound in boat and engine choices. I could put two of my 315 HP Yanmars in the GB and burn approximately the same amount of fuel at 9 MPH as I did with two 120-HP Lehmans.

Psycho.....,
I still stand by my earlier advise. However, I forgot to add 2 other concerns you should at least look into. One, moorage. Moorage can be hard to find, but that is very area dependent, and it is even more scarce for liveaboards. Many marinas do not allow liveaboards, and those that do, usually have a strict limit on how many and maybe even what slips. Vacancies for liveaboards can take time. Second, insurance. If you have little to no experience owning and operating a boat that size, you may find it hard to impossible to get insurance. You should not go without at least liability insurance, as bills for environmental cleanup can add up BIG TIME in a hurry (to say nothing about covering potential damage you do to others). I know this, cause for a few years I worked in management at a company that did environmental cleanup and I sometimes prepared the invoices.:eek: To obtain insurance you may be REQUIRED to have a certified Captain with you for a period of time, or may have to provide proof of successfully completing a specific course, etc. Insurance Companies often view the risk as too high for a new boater in a big boat!!
I hope whatever you decide to do works out, and that you don't have to learn some of these things the "hard way". :whistling:

Rgano- thanks for the info! Fuel use is a big factor in my opinion! Whats your opinion of one vs two engines? I like the safety factor of Two. But simplicity of One. I'll look into the depth and hull info on it. From my research (not much to find) they made them all 'semi' custom and came in many different layouts. It isnt a GB for sure. But i do like it so far.

Fire- any suggestions on insurance or just check with my current House/auto guy? Those are some good pointers. Enviro in the military was a Massive headache. As for the Hard Way, with a thick skull, its the Only way to get the message In. LOL

ODan. Im not planning on buying right now. Just trying to find what I want. Whst I need. What works for me... I like this bluewater boat. Im going to go look around on it. I have been on 25' pontoons and Military ships but almost Nothing in between and its a nice day trip to the marina. :) plus, im waiting until after my house sells and I close on this river property to store one at.

B&B it sounds like you have made a few boating 'expense' errors. Myself, im careful and look into something before I 'buy' it. (Call it an Expenditure. An Investment. Or Whatever.) I'm pretty good about not losing money 'Investing' in cars, houses, stocks, or anything else. But thanks for your viewpoint. Everything goes into the Equations of what something is Worth when buying.

There are several topics here on TF which will generate endless "ink," and twins versus single is one of them. Fav engine, anchor, and dinghy are some of the others. I have been assigned as a bridge watch standing officer aboard two single screw ships, five twin screw, and one quadruple screw. As for vessels larger than a runabout, I have owned a twin engine trawler and a single engine Pilot. Each vessel had its own quirks for handling, and you learn to deal with each. As to reliability, I have only returned home on less than the full set of installed engines was when a transmission pressure plate failed on my trawler. Once I transitioned to this single engine boat, I finally bought Tow BoatUS insurance, and sure enough, in 2018, I ended up blowing a cooling hose and needing a tow home. Cheaper than a second engine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom