Interesting: Antifouling adhesive film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds intriguing. I wonder at adhesion though, especially on fast boats. If the racing sailboats adopt this I will be impressed. Thanks for the link Cap'n.

A go-fast fishing boat had a wrap that seemed sturdy. This is interesting. Think of never having to clean the bottom of your dinghy... I can see where thru hulls would still need attention though.

What surprised me too is the film expected life of 5 years. I guess that for adhesion, everything will be about preparing the surface properly. But after having done it once, if you just change the film every 5 years, wow.

L

Great idea. But it all comes down to cost and effectiveness. Interesting that the article doesn't mention the cost, and all we have so far on effectiveness is the manufacturer's five-year claim. I wonder if there's a written warranty?

Still, I'd love to give it a try. If it works as well in practice as it does in theory, then it would also reduce drag, giving you a bit more efficiency, as well.

Indeed no clue about pricing or effectiveness. On that side one positive aspect is that is has been developed with PPG and not an obscure Joe in his basement. Also not sure this can apply to all type of boats meaning slow vs fast.

L

Back
Top Bottom