What’s in your boat tool bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Not the deep tool chest or comprehensive kit, but the bag you grab when general maintenance calls? Here is a start on mine:

• 1/4, 5/16, and 7mm socket screwdrivers for hose clamps
  • Combination screwdriver for Phillips and slotted screws
  • Crescent wrench with lanyard
  • 3/8” ratchet with select sockets for common nuts and bolts
  • Box wrench for battery terminal nuts
  • Electric meter
  • Small screwdriver for electronic Phoenix connectors
  • Channel locks
  • Assortment of zip ties
  • Wire cutters

The compressor is not onboard. Otherwise, I have enough tools onboard to do a complete engine rebuild down to the main bearings. Not that I can find them all when I need them because they end up in job specific bags and never get put back in the same place.

Wife: "Do have a pair of needle nose pliers?"
Me: "I have 6 of them. They're in the boat somewhere."

There are several other threads on TF about onboard tools and spares, some lump them together. As to the "grab bag," I don't have such a thing. I just grab what is needed from the tool locker because it is not hard to access.

My top 5 used tools:
Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver
Fluke DVM
Dollar store "cuts a penny in half" scissors
Klein High leverage diagonal cutters
Milwaukee M18 cordless drill
Honorable mention goes to a digital readout caliper measuring tool.

Last edited:
The OP's grab bag sounds about right, except for needle-nose pliers. When you need 'em, you need 'em. Same with Channel Locks, which the OP has wisely stocked.

(Hats off to High Wire for packing a digital caliper gauge)!

A bottle of wine and two glasses. After dealing with a boat issue this is a well due reward.

L

Sat phone to call Tow Boat or USCG???

Excellent. Adding needle nose pliers for sure. Calipers too, though I might be able to suffice with a simple plastic ruler. Not too often do I need to measure down to the hundredth or finer.

Wife: "Do have a pair of needle nose pliers?"
Me: "I have 6 of them. They're in the boat somewhere."

And this is exactly what I am trying to overcome. Between what I inherited from the PO and what I have added, there's darn near every tool on board, but finding them when needed is a hassle.

The OP's grab bag sounds about right, except for needle-nose pliers. When you need 'em, you need 'em. Same with Channel Locks, which the OP has wisely stocked.

I have two bags, one for all the hard tools (wrenches, combo screw driver, sockets, pliers, drill, etc.) and one for the soft stuff. (Screws, washers, gaskets, zip ties, etc.) Works really well for me!

Attachments

• Tool bags.jpg
    Tool bags.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 21
There are several other threads on TF about onboard tools and spares, some lump them together. As to the "grab bag," I don't have such a thing. I just grab what is needed from the tool locker because it is not hard to access.

I do the same. The big toolbox is right out in the open all the time. I’ve developed a superstition that I just know that the black water will hit the fan if I ever have the cheek to ‘put my tools away.’

Use it, put back where you found it

IR Temp Gun
Probably high on the AR scale but like to log electric motor temps when I go below and also scan the back of the breaker panels every so often.

Good for finding hot electrical connections too. Good point, Turtle.

Mt Top 5 tools not in the carry bag:
DC Clamp-on ammeter
Infra-red temp gun
Heat gun
Strap wrench
Form-A-Funnel
Smart Phone/Youtube/Amazon Prime
Honorable Mention - Belt Jack

IR Temp Gun
Probably high on the AR scale but like to log electric motor temps when I go below and also scan the back of the breaker panels every so often.

Good idea, and a good example of why I hang out on TF - thanks, Turtle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom