Boat Cats-Litter Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WD40

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Otter
Vessel Make
1985 President Sundeck 41
After losing our beloved Sadie Lady (Plott Hound) a year ago, we have decided on getting a boat cat.
It's been extremely nice not having to go to shore first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but we really miss some companionship.
We've now got a teeny tiny little 12 week old kitten (Ashley) that we're getting used to wearing a collar, and have a harness on it's way to leash train her as well.

What are some suggestions for litter box types and litter types?
I see the shelters are basically using pellet stove pellets now, which we are using at home at the moment.
We picked up an open box, but it doesn't seem to hold back the odors as much as the hooded types do, but the hooded types are huge.

As far as the pellets, they work well and are easy cleanup (extremely inexpensive too), but I'd like to see what others have had success with.

Thanks!

I have a cat on my boat and I just use the standard stuff. I’m in a trawler and my back is closed in so that’s where the box stays. As for odors, I clean it everyday, and everyone is happy. Although for some reason my try’s to dig his way to China. We’ve been doing this for four years with out any issues.

We use an enclosed litter box. Keeps the litter contained. Also use walnut litter.

Attachments

• 20210712_131902.jpg
    20210712_131902.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210618_202921.jpg
    20210618_202921.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for the ideas so far.
I do see on Boatgalley.com that the Breeze system gets a few recommendations as well.
https://theboatgalley.com/cat-litter-on-a-boat
It's been 4 years since we've had a cat, and after Ashley's first "dump" in the current litter box in the house, we quickly remembered that not so desirable smell.

I have not heard of walnut litter, but with 3 walnut trees on our property, maybe that's not a bad idea.

Looks like our aft cabin shower would be where we'd keep the box, except when taking showers obviously.

I don't know why we named her Ashley. At this point "Speedy" is a much more appropriate name.

Attachments

• Ashley1.jpg
    Ashley1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Ashley2.jpg
    Ashley2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
... It's been extremely nice not having to go to shore first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but we really miss some companionship. ...

You got the wrong cat. I had a cat for almost 20 years that was very companionable. It liked to sit in my lap as much as it could. This included when I was sitting on the toilet. Still miss him.

If you had room for it, we've had great success with a Litter Robot automatic unit. But they're way too big for use on most boats.

I have seen cats trained to use a toilet. As yours is young, I might investigate that option too. Good luck. Ashley is a cutie.

Another vote for the Breeze system. Have had it on the boat for 3 years and would never go back!

I have seven land based cats so I have experience with litter.
I use Worlds Best Litter in the two boxes I have next to toilets. It’s flushable. It clumps well but the clumps break down quickly in water. It’s made of corn so I assume it eventually biodegrades.

I tried the Breeze system but my adult cats were reluctant to use it. Your kitten might take to it.

This style scoop is the best by far that I’ve ever tried. It picks up the clumps and turds and drains the clean litter very quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085QMHV3...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Attachments

• 1B63BD13-9E4C-47FF-AA36-5B04E6A9982C.jpeg
    1B63BD13-9E4C-47FF-AA36-5B04E6A9982C.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 20
Most standard cat litter are Fullers earth. :ermm: It also good for filtering the dye out of diesel.
So they tell me :angel:

Even if the product is claimed to be flushable you generally do not want to be introducing it to the waste system. Most systems are not typically designed to handle the potential parasites in animal waste (like t.gondii in cats). It IS a good idea to use compostable litter, like the kind most often claimed to be flushable. That is more likely to break down naturally as part of the solid waste trash system.

Great information. I do appreciate all the suggestions!

You got the wrong cat. I had a cat for almost 20 years that was very companionable. It liked to sit in my lap as much as it could. This included when I was sitting on the toilet. Still miss him.
Not sure what you mean.
We really miss the companionship of Sadie, but not the trips to shore all the time.
That's why we thought about a Boat Cat.

It's only been a few days now, but Ashley is quickly becoming Dad's cat. She follows me everywhere, and I can't sit in a chair without her perched on my neck. Love it!

+1 Breeze. We have one for our apartment and our boat, and our girl had no problems migrating from Shweet Skoop (or whatever, they're wheat-based granules) to Breeze. Transformational, as my wife says.

Cat looks at the owner and thinks, 'This is my boat and I let you stay on it.'

I dated a woman who had a cat. If the cat did not like the person, it would crap in his shoes, at night. I guess the cat liked me. :)

My older bro and his wife had a cat in their 12th floor condo
Their condo reeked of cedar spray to cover up the smell of the cat and its bi-product. The cat is still alive, sleeping most of time. The sister-in-law died, bro is in an assisted living home, the cat is still alive, close to 20 years old, living well at one of his son's place.

Last edited:
We use Breeze system at home and on boat. The pellets are not cheap but for one tiny cat the 3.5 pound bag would last a month. There are pads underneath, think flat diapers, that soak up urine. Toss when full. No litter getting tracked all over the boat.

https://smile.amazon.com/Breeze-Cat...keywords=breeze+system\&qid=1626122959&sr=8-4

not boat cats...but our current cat uses this. It's about the only thing she's taken to. I don't touch the thing so I can't speak to it's ease of use, etc... but I haven't heard wife and kids complaining about it.... and unless they let it go too long the smell doesn't bother me...and I have a very low tolerance for that!

She's a picky PIA cat and has not taken well to the myriad of things we've tried...and when we move the box or most anything different she'll start pooping around the house, including IN my bathroom sink (not my wife's...only mine!). She insists on having her box in what should be our formal living room....now relegated to center stage cat toilet and junk room.

I really pushed for and tried an enclosed top entry box to at least help keeping things contained & out of sight a bit...but it was a no go.

We've had the auto scooping motorized rake type boxes with previous cats. Interesting idea but the reality seemed to be still a lot of work...not worth it in my opinion.

On our second boat cat now, and both have used sWheat scoop litter:

https://www.swheatscoop.com/

Used it for years on land prior to living aboard, too. Handles odor, clumps nicely, and is all plant-based. Interestingly, many years ago living on acreage on San Juan Island we would dump food scraps and the litter in the woods (but we threw the cat poop in the trash). The deer loved to eat the cat urine clumps!

We use a litter box with high sides, and clean daily.

Cat litter

Small covered litter box with "Fresh Step" clumping litter. Scoop out clumps daily and no need to replace litter until quantity depleted. Served 2 adult cats very well. Clumps go into plastic grocery bag and then into garbage can in cockpit.

Last edited:
We ended up with the Breeze system and we're extremely happy with it so far.
Ashley has no problem knowing where it is (aft head) when she needs to go.
Love that the pee goes onto a pee pad, however I need to pay attention to which side goes up or down...you can guess I didn't get it the right way the first time.

She's gradually getting used to the views from outside and loves helping with piloting duties especially with the Admiral at the helm.

Attachments

• Ashley3.jpg
    Ashley3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Ashley4.jpg
    Ashley4.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 20
We use an enclosed litter box. Keeps the litter contained. Also use walnut litter.

What kind of container is this? It looks like a trash can with a smaller opening....does your cat sit on it? I keep my litter box on the stern, clean it every day, hose the area because she's getting older and a bit messy...

After losing our beloved Sadie Lady (Plott Hound) a year ago, we have decided on getting a boat cat.
It's been extremely nice not having to go to shore first thing in the morning and last thing at night, but we really miss some companionship.
We've now got a teeny tiny little 12 week old kitten (Ashley) that we're getting used to wearing a collar, and have a harness on it's way to leash train her as well.

What are some suggestions for litter box types and litter types?
I see the shelters are basically using pellet stove pellets now, which we are using at home at the moment.
We picked up an open box, but it doesn't seem to hold back the odors as much as the hooded types do, but the hooded types are huge.

As far as the pellets, they work well and are easy cleanup (extremely inexpensive too), but I'd like to see what others have had success with.

Thanks!

Keep it simple and cheap. Having had a couple dozen kittens that grew up on board and at the ranch before that, I started all of them out in a plastic shoebox and used clay litter. As they grew up, moved on to a larger shoe box and alfalfa pellets. It won't hurt them if they eat one or two. For multiple cats we used a standard Wally World covered box. Don't buy the expensive litter bags - mostly they don't fit. I use 1.1 black plastic garbage bags. They hold up and you can empty the whole shebang without punctures. The Dollar Store scoop works as well as the fancy $7 one. It floats. The shoe box with a lid and a bungy cord to secure it filled with alfalfa litter suffices in an emergency or while travelling overland. We have used pine pellets, but they self destruct when they get wet....wet on a boat :banghead: $6 from Tractor Supply for a 40lb bag lasts a good long time - even with four full sized adult cats. Still using the 1.1 contractor grade plastic bags. Don'r bother using the expensive clumping litter - mostly it's bentonite - they'll lick their feet and ingest it. We used it on the ranch to seal well shafts and ponds. To kill odors we use a spray bottle with Odoban mfgd in Warner-Robins, GA. It's also a disinfectant and we use it liberally thruoughout the boat and on the ranch.

Last edited:
We just use a tray and cheap home brand clumping litter
5 years onboard, no reason to change

Back
Top Bottom