Lehman 120 Fresh Water Pump Replace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Everything was going pretty straightforward until I tried to remove the pulley on the fresh water pump. Removed the 4 bolts, but the pulley will not come off (which makes the 4 bolts holding the pump on the block harder to access...). Am I missing something? It seems like it should pop off at this point. Tried prying to no avail. Of course, I didn't put a lot of weight into it, as I'm not sure if there's something else holding it on.

Attachments

• Fresh water pump.jpg
    Fresh water pump.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 20
Just rusted on. Hit with PB Blaster or Kroil. Propane torch so it's a little too hot to touch. PB Blaster again. Whack it with rubber mallet. Repeat.

Last edited:
Had to use a torch on mine. Well, the second one. I beat the hell out of the first one trying to get it off and had to grab a backup pulley off an old pump I had laying around. Lesson learned. They warp and go out-of-round easily when manhandled. Heat and gentle persuasion from a rubber mallet. Usually when some heat, they will just pop off.

Can you get a gear puller on the front?

pete

I am sure the good folk at American Diesel can suggest how to do it.

I did mine last year. Not to sound crud, but beat it off with dead-blow or rubber mallet. .

Heat, beat, repeat. (Plus oil, lol).

Originally a slip fit now a corrosion fit.
Don't take NO for an answer. You have some good suggestions above.

Thank you for the suggestions, guys! Finally got the pulley off. Took some beating with a rubber mallet while pulling on it. Took awhile with about a half-millimeter progress every other whack... Now to pry the damn pump off! Removed the four bolts and it will not budge, either. Will carefully use a chisel and hammer. Planning on a much easier time installing the new pump... LOL

Planning on a much easier time installing the new pump

put anti-seize on the threads and on pulley to pump mating surface. Will make the next replacement in 20 or 30 years a breeze. I covered the gasket in hi temp RTV so I'm hoping for 40 years.

Yeah I did mine a few months ago. First one came off no problem, second one I used a gear puller after trying the pry/whack/pb blaster route for a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom