What is this called...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Senior moment...

What do you call the aft extension of the keel that runs below the prop shaft and supports the bottom of the rudder?
Within the rudder support is the pivot assembly which is known as a gudgeon.

From Wikipedia...and my experience.

"Sailing
In sailing, pintles insert into gudgeons that are normally affixed to the transom of a boat. "

Keel shoe would be any fitting on a skeg that accepts the rudder bottom post. See post #11.... item #13.

As I posted before...different regions may call it whatever.....

Last edited:
I agree that any terminology, over time and regions can be skewed. Gudgeons are defined as a cylindrical component which facilitates rotary motion. Could be used in any manner of applications. What you say does ring true, I had just heard both applications being referred to as gudgeons. I think it was the first thing I heard as a lad so that is what sticks in my head. Now if you want to look around and see how social definitions are being altered, we could talk all day.

Probably 90% what I heard as a "lad" in the boating world has turned out to be partially true at best. I used to practically live at a marina where boatbuilding was already several generations old in the 1960's.

I hardly ever go back that far for info beyond tying progress together....I go by compiling decades worth of info and recent research on the topic to give the best choice of info.

Last edited:
Within the rudder support is the pivot assembly which is known as a gudgeon.

For just a bit more clarity in the meanings [titles] thrown about...

What are rudder Gudgeons?

Pintles and Gudgeons comprise the hinging mechanism on outboard-mounted Rudders. Pintles always incorporate a Pin, Gudgeons always have a hole for a Pin, either may be attached to the rudder or to the Transom. In standard configuration, Pintles are attached to the Rudder, and Gudgeons are attached to the Transom.

And...

What is a gudgeon?

A gudgeon is a socket-like, cylindrical (i.e., female) fitting attached to one component to enable a pivoting or hinging connection to a second component. The second component carries a pintle fitting, the male counterpart to the gudgeon, enabling an inter-pivoting connection that can be easily separated.

Thus - IMO: The furthest most female end [a round hole] of the rather slim dimension metal skeg that protrudes rearward off bottom of keel. Into which the protruding round "male" shaft at bottom of rudder [the pintle] rests [fits] into.

Just like line is used on a vessel once it is no longer "rope"...generic hardware definitions may be superseded by more specialized variations of things when used on a boat.

As does anyone who thinks critically. I was referring to a cognitive condition that usually defaults to that which we know when the issue at hand is in fact not critical. What a thing is called is sometimes regarded as minutia unless it directly effects an outcome. This is particularly true with colloquial terminology. The original post was presented by an individual who couldn't remember a proper name for an item that he was aware of, knew of it's function, and it seemed was more of a curiosity than a functional necessity. Hence my addition of information I was familiar with, which didn't seem to have any critical outcome either way. Just fun stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom