Changed the sacrificial anodes in Prideaux Haven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The water was warm (24 C) and went for a swim. Inspection revealed the sacrificial anodes were getting close for replacement. So together with sister-in-law we set about to replace them using snorkel and mask. It went well and without issues. We changed the rudder clamshell, main shaft prop anode and the bow thruster anodes. I can now defer my September haul-out to April.

Changing the bow thruster anodes…

IMG_6290.jpg

Jim

Is Desolation Sound crowded? I'd bet not so much with the border closed.

The water was warm (24 C) and went for a swim. Inspection revealed the sacrificial anodes were getting close for replacement. So together with sister-in-law we set about to replace them using snorkel and mask. It went well and without issues. We changed the rudder clamshell, main shaft prop anode and the bow thruster anodes. I can now defer my September haul-out to April.

Changing the bow thruster anodes…

View attachment 119166

Jim

Enjoy the uncrowded anchorages this year...there all here in the San Juan's this year and it will be chock o block full next year as we all come up and assume the role of obnoxious American yachties. Damn water temp here is like 59 degrees.
Hollywood

Hollywood, I'm not about to go swimming but I am enjoying the sunshine that has come to your part of the world. We're on Whidbey Island in Freeland for a visit to the kids and two grand daughters.

Lovin' the sunshine.

How many allen wrenches did you bequeath to Neptune during your anode change?

Been there, done that.

And to think, you got in there without running aground on any charted rocks or shoals. Good job :thumb:

Good morning. Particular care taken to hold onto the Allen keys tightly and we had a gunny sac with a float on it to hold materials. We needed 3 sizes of Allen keys and we had spares if necessary. Pam was on the boat to pass items as necessary. One side of the spent rudder clamshell fell to the bottom, unfortunately. Evidently the aluminum anodes are more environmentally friendly.

We counted 14 boats in Prideaux. Yesterday in Shoal Bay and tied up at the end of the dock for an unobstructed view up Phillips Arm. Possibly the loveliest view on the coast. Shoal bay is a pleasure as always.

We are heading to Minstrel Island this morning. Conditions are currently benign in Johnstone Strait, so making a long run today.

Jim

And to think, you got in there without running aground on any charted rocks or shoals. Good job :thumb:

If you’re referencing the Norwester sinking, this is a completely different area.

If you’re referencing the Norwester sinking, this is a completely different area.

Perhaps TT is referring to another vessel. I cannot remember the name of the super yacht that anchored outside of Prideaux a number of years ago, that “squatted” on a reef while anchored. Not sure what damage they incurred. It definitely happened outside of Prideaux. And yes the reef was charted!

Edit: I remember the name of the super yacht, but won’t “say it out loud” here.

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom