Hi everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldboy

Hello

I have just bought a 1985 PT 41 trawler. I need some technical information & know how about the boat throuh the forum.

Thanks,

Welcome to TF. You have come to the right place.? :)

Welcome, and I hope someone can help you out. It might help if you ask some specific questions. That is an older boat, with not alot of them around. Hopefully there is a knowledgeable owner on the forum for that boat, but often installed equipment is not "boat specific" so others may be able to offer help??
Good luck

Hello

I have just bought a 1985 PT 41 trawler. I need some technical information & know how about the boat throuh the forum.

Thanks,

Welcome aboard, which model of a PT did you buy? Pictures please..........:thumb:

Model of boat : PT 42 performance,

Model year : 1985

engine : twin yanmar 6LYA -UTE 310 hp (450 hours)

Electronics : raymarine radar, autopilot

Nice looking boat. Have a lot of fun with it.

I have an 86 PT 46
Ask away, I have gone through just about everything in the last year and a half.

So, ask the questions..

pete

1) Boat has various leaks when it rains most notably hatch over forward V birth, it needs a new seal. Starboard side window leaks and there is a leak in the side cabin. Windows need new seals. What kind of product should i use for various leaks ?

2) GPS will not acquire position is autopilot is off weird problem.

3) Fresh water pump goes on and off without any demand perhaps pressure swich or small leak in system. We would turn the breaker off when fresh water not in use just in case.

4) lower helm vhf radio and stereo would not come on maybe there is a swich some where i couldnt find.

5) Boat hits 19,1 knts at 3000 rpm (max 3300 rpm), is it normal or which cruise speed should i expect ?

of course i will have more questions. Thanks in advance.

Pt 42

The product used when it was built was Butyl Seal. very easy to work with, and has lasted 30 some odd years.( store it in the freezer)
you will have to have patience when removing the window frames.
If there are SS rails, the butyl seems to go bad under them and leaks there also. If your Salon Window is a slider. They always seem to leak there also.
There is a very good window caulk that i used when i replaced my large salon window with a tempered laminated glass. I will try and find the name of the caulk, i got it from a window company.

If the GPS will not acquire position, the antenna is probably not getting power.
follow all the wires back to the breakers.

Yes there is probably a small leak some place in the system. you should notice water in the bilge or under a cabinet some where. I always turn the pump off, but 200 gallons of water is not going to sink the boat. Leaving it hooked to shore water will!

Again trace the wires from the VHS. 30 years of PO wiring and not using good connections.

19 Knots. if you want to go that fast you need a different boat.
The 47 with twin 275 turbo engines was rated new for 18 knots.
I have never Hit 3300 RPM. I cruise at about 1200 7 or 8 knots. 4 gph.
I have fords, but in my opinion you run at 3000 you wont have engines very long. I only go to 3000 to spin up the turbo's or get out of a dangerous situation.

Welcome aboard ,

If you want an answer you have to give us some questions.

I would guess your GPS is connected to your system through the autopilot. I cannot get heading information to my chartplotter from my fluxgate compass unless the AP is turned on. You might be able to find the GPS antenna connection to the AP and then run parallel wired to the plotter.

The VHF which will not turn on likely has an inline fuse hidden behind the radio's mounting.

Back
Top Bottom