Marin sighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rusty

From this morning. We are on the way in to Ganges. La Perouse is on the way out. We all waved.

Attachments

• RKL_1822.jpg
    RKL_1822.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 196
Long live the Frenchman. You are a Frenchman ... aren't you Marin?
Hey ... and he's even got some of the blue stuff off.
Good to see you out and about Marin.

I'm half French. My father was as French as they come. Got his law degree at the Sorbonne in Paris but decided to be a writer instead. Too bad. If he'd gone with law we'd have a Fleming or an Eastbay instead of this plodding GB.

Your GB may be "plodding" but you are ahead of the Beaver, at least for the moment!

What's that funny looking hoop on your prow? Some sort of RDF antenna? :)

Bill

Your GB may be "plodding" but you are ahead of the Beaver, at least for the moment! What's that funny looking hoop on your prow? Some sort of RDF antenna? :)
Bill
He he he......wait for it....

Actually, a Mouiller, naturellement

What is the big deal. Marin is nothing special. I can tell you based upon first hand observations he looks similar to an old film clip of Errol Flynn without the sword but with a pencil thin 'stach and 6 pack physique. Johnny Depp should be so lucky.

Oooh!! I gotta get me one of those.

Sd

I am in the process of potential purchase of a boat with what look like an identical apparatus on its prow. Due to my respect for Marin I did not look into its function, simply assumed that if Marin has one it must be good. I have looked at the boat thoruoghly and cannot find the retractable cannon. The boat's current hailing port is Sacramento CA, perhaps California stripped it of its cannon and banished it to the PNW.
Surveyor scheduled for Monday, I will have him look closely for the cannon, or at least assure me that it was properly and professionally removed.

Does the sight have any other useful function Marin or should I just throw it overboard if the cannon is missing and I do buy the boat? The sight looks like easy disposal at sea, appears designed to sink quickly.

Bill :)

Ps, I can see the answer coming! Nope, without the cannon its useless, just a boat anchor.

Bill

I would try the float test.

Throw it over and see if it floats.

SD

that can't be Marin, there are more than two people on the boat???

Yes, they are inflatable people. We put them in lifelike poses on the boat so when we're at the dock people will think we're busy with our "friends" and so won't come over and ask stupid questions like "What year is your boat?" or "That's a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver isn't it?". (since they obviously know it's a Duck Toller why the hell do they persist in telling me what it is?)

We have found the inflatable people to be so effective that we are thinking of adding a stuffed wolverine to keep curled up on the forecabin top and a "Caution-Woverine" sign.

But then we'd probably get the same bozos coming over and asking, "That's a wolverine, isn't is?" so that's probably not such a good idea.

Marin

Is that the radar mounted on the front of the bridge?

Marin

Is that the radar mounted on the front of the bridge?

Yes. That's a common mounting position on older boats like ours with solid wood masts. It has a couple of advantages over a mast mount but the disadvantages outweigh them. So I'd never recommend a flying bridge antenna position to someone contemplating adding a radar to a boat that doesn't have one. Mast mount or radar arch are the best ways to go in my opinion.

If Marin doesn't want to go slow, maybe ...

img_102176_0_33ca79bfeacb8e49ee36e645d592c7ec.jpg

Put there it is frying your manliness when on if you're up there I suspect...is that perchance why you helm mostly from below, Marin?

Yes. That's a common mounting position on older boats like ours with solid wood masts. It has a couple of advantages over a mast mount but the disadvantages outweigh them. So I'd never recommend a flying bridge antenna position to someone contemplating adding a radar to a boat that doesn't have one. Mast mount or radar arch are the best ways to go in my opinion.

My bad :dance:

Put there it is frying your manliness when on if you're up there I suspect...is that perchance why you helm mostly from below, Marin?

No. We wouldn't run from the flying bridge in weather we needed the radar in, and the display is at the main helm station anyway. We don't run from up above because we hate the sight picture in terms of maneuvering from up there, and we feel totally disconnected from the boat. I find I can judge the boat's position and movement in close maneuvering far more accurately from the lower helm, plus I can get out on deck to help with lines instantly if necessary.

And the transmission from a recreational radar is so weak that it won't affect you unless you hold your head hard against the radome with the radar transmitting for a week 24/7. So say the radar experts, anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom