What is this called...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
Senior moment...

What do you call the aft extension of the keel that runs below the prop shaft and supports the bottom of the rudder?

Sir,

Rudder shoe, perhaps?

skeg

noun: skeg; plural noun: skegs

a tapering or projecting stern section of a vessel's keel, which protects the propeller and supports the rudder.

You guys are awesome. Thanks.

Dave, glad someone helped you out! Now go back two spaces for not knowing the answer to the question!:whistling: (and don't pass go, or collect any $$ in the process either!:D)

Irene is correct. It’s the rudder shoe. A skeg protrudes down from the hull to which the rudder attaches and is protected by. Hence the term “skeg hung rudder”.

Irene is correct. It’s the rudder shoe. A skeg protrudes down from the hull to which the rudder attaches and is protected by. Hence the term “skeg hung rudder”.

For my over 55 yrs of being around boats. Following definition.

skeg

noun: skeg; plural noun: skegs

a tapering or projecting stern section of a vessel's keel, which protects the propeller and supports the rudder.

FWIK - The "rudder shoe" is stern most end of the skeg and is what the bottom shaft of the rudder fits into for support. Thus the nomenclature "shoe".

Last edited:
Here are a couple images that show the difference. On the rudder construction diagram number 13 at the very bottom is the "shoe".

Attachments

• Skeg+Rudder.jpeg
    Skeg+Rudder.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Rudder-construction.gif
    Rudder-construction.gif
    27.7 KB · Views: 64
A "Skeg" can hold different designs, placements, meanings and descriptions... regarding if it is:

- The skeg that extends off the rear of a full keel on displacement [or semi displacement] power boats.

- A sail boat's skeg.

- Or, an outboard motor's skeg.

Some descriptions:

* Skeg is the lowest point on an outboard motor (a solid fixed in place rudder-like appendage extending downward below the prop). It acts as a precise rudder, which allows your boat to turn more safely and effectively when the outboard is steered side to side.

* “Skeg” is an aftward extension of the keel intended to keep the boat moving straight and to protect the propeller and rudder from underwater obstructions.

* Nuff Said!! LOL

The skeg holds the shoe if one is installed.

There are probably many variations possible.

So there are finer points than "it is this".....

Sand shoe is what I have seen / heard them referred to.
[Edit]
From the linked MS 34T review
"Tracking was good, too, whether going slow or fast. And when turning sharply, the boat tended to list faintly outboard, presumably due to a modest keel with a protective sand shoe for the prop, which is ensconced in a tunnel to reduce draft."
https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/boat-tests/mainship-34-trawler-0

Last edited:
Rudder shoe to hold the rudder.

Sand shoe to protect keel on grounding.

Worm shoe - sacrificial wood on keel for worms.

One thing I have learned in the boating/fishing world is there are all kinds of names that get blurred over to one piece of equipment to another or different nicknames for the same things/fish or the same nickname for different things/fish.

Sometimes it's regional, sometimes its age group, sometimes its just overall experience....etc....

My understanding of the original sand shoe was that is was a sacrificial strip of untreated wood secured to the bottom of the keel of a wooden boat with a strip of tar paper isolation material between the strip and the keel. It was thought that the sand shoe would take the wear of any grounding (intentional or otherwise) allowing the keel to retain its bottom paint.

My understanding of the original sand shoe was that is was a sacrificial strip of untreated wood secured to the bottom of the keel of a wooden boat with a strip of tar paper isolation material between the strip and the keel. It was thought that the sand shoe would take the wear of any grounding (intentional or otherwise) allowing the keel to retain its bottom paint.

That was also known as a "worm shoe" as sacrificial to worms so the real deadwood was protected. But it certainly would do the same for grinding in the sand and rocks.

With age - my shoes needed to get considerably bigger [longer/wider].

Not that that makes a piss worth of difference to any boat "shoe".

:dance: :facepalm: :lol:

That was also known as a "worm shoe" as sacrificial to worms so the real deadwood was protected. But it certainly would do the same for grinding in the sand and rocks.

Yes, scrape the paint off the wood and in go the worms. At first I thought, how is it sacrificial like a zinc is? I mean the worms will just eat this thing if I put it on my wooden boat; so how does that protect the boat's keel/deadwood? Then somebody called it a sand shoe, and it dawned on me that the idea was to keep the paint on the keel/deadwood. Since I never planned of rubbing my boat's bottom on the ground, it just never made sense to install a sand/worm shoe, but plenty of small fishing smacks of old did in tidal waters.

As I said...regional and personal experiences and bingo...different names and philosophies for the same item. Either being correct from that frame of reference.

It may depend on the boat manufacturer. Mainship for example called them a Sand Shoe.

And in some places, a 'false keel'.
Then you can start on the proper classification of the salmon, cod, and herring....

Maybe we should all agree on a new name. I suggest Mabel.

Maybe we should all agree on a new name. I suggest Mabel.

I agree - and, RT verbally signed the deal! Mable it is!!! Errr... Mabel as you spell it.

Last edited:
Did somebody just re-open the best anchor thread here ??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom