Bluetooth compatible radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldog

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Growler
Vessel Make
Albin 36 Express Trawler
I am in need of an electronics upgrade and would like to de-clutter my bridge and pilothouse of my obsolete pieces of electronics and MFD's (5 in total).

I initially thought the Furuno First Watch radar with my Samsung tablets and iPhone was the perfect solution. After reading some reviews and learning that the First Watch was only compatible with iOS, I have decided that maybe this not as good as initially thought.

Is anybody aware of an alternative product that is also Bluetooth compatible?

Thanks!

Garmin radar will broadcast via wifi to your tablet. However you will need at least 1 Garmin chart plotter / radar to broadcast the wifi. Obviously check with Garmin for the specifics.

Bulldog, can you enlighten us tech challenged folk what "only compatible with ioS" means and why that is bad?

I too have been looking at the First Watch radar.

And iPads. Apple mobile devices. Won’t grok his Samsung tablet which is Android based as are pretty much all other consumer tablets besides iPad.

I ran down Rosario Strait to Port Townsend today with Furono first watch, worked fine for me. Sees ships, sailboats, buoys, islands. Not fancy, but works for me.

And I didn't have to tear up boat interior for cables to install.

Thanks for the input. We rarely intentionally go out in conditions where we would need radar. I feel that it is needed for the times when you get caught in lousy conditions. I too don't need anything fancy but the fact that it is only iOS compatible is making me hesitate.

BullD, I run an android phone, dell laptop and an old iPad. The iPad runs iSailor via Bluetooth and the radar on its wifi at same time, easy peasy. You don't need a high end pad to do this, would be happy to demo if you were on left coast.

We've used the Furuno First Watch for nearly 4 years now. It's not fancy (unless you consider taking your radar display on your iPhone to the head is fancy... :)), but it works great during the day/fog and at night. It's not bluetooth, but it uses a legacy wifi signal so your phone or iPad always pick it up. And it will overlay the radar signal on the TZ iBoat navigation charts, which we think is very cool (I've come to like the TZ iBoat more than Navionics which we had used for years).

We're very happy with Furuno, and not just because we sell them but because we use and rely on it. We have them in our store for $995 with the WIRELESS100 coupon code:

https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com/products/furuno-1st-watch-wireless-radar-drs4w

And for those that want a more permanent display, you can also have the DRS4W transmit to a Furuno touch screen display (the optional GP-1971F).

If anyone has any questions on the unit, shoot me a PM.

I have a Furuno First Watch that I use with my Furuno GP1971 plotter. I haven't tried using it to display on anything else. It's an okay radar, lacks some of the target discrimination from radars I'm used to but it's vastly better than the Furuno 1621 that was on this boat originally. I would like a larger dedicated display however, I see little utility in having a display on a phone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom