Females Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
I've been out of rock climbing for a long time so don't check to see how things have progressed very often. I didn't know women had cracked the 5.15 barrier.

Margo Hayes was first to climb 5.15 way back in 2017:

Julia Chanourdie did a 5.15b with a mind blowing traverse:

Amazing.

Last edited:
EE-FREAKING-GAD!

Not bad for just getting out of high school:

(Press "CC" in tool bar for English subtitles)

I don't... understand this. Like, my little mayonnaise-addled brain can't do the computations. I have absolutely zero idea what it must feel like to be the kind of person who can do things like this. None. I have no frame of reference. It's completely alien to me.

5f38kb.jpg

It absolutely blows my mind that they're even the same sort of animal that I am.

2020 events notwithstanding humans keep increasing the average score on IQ tests, do more incredible physical feats every year, and kill less and less of each other(after evening out the bumps in the curve.) Maybe we’re evolving after all.

I was more of a mixed route mountaineer myself. Enjoyed a little sport climbing now and again when I was younger, never tackled any serious 5+ multi-pitch routes. It’s a short walk to the top of The Nose from the Tioga Road ;)

I don't... understand this. Like, my little mayonnaise-addled brain can't do the computations. I have absolutely zero idea what it must feel like to be the kind of person who can do things like this. None. I have no frame of reference. It's completely alien to me.

5f38kb.jpg

It absolutely blows my mind that they're even the same sort of animal that I am.

I'm with you on this one. Same thing about running. Biking and some other sports are fun, but long distance running, extreme rock climbing, etc. just seem like a form of torture to me.

What impresses me is the quiet grace and determination they climb with. If you could give one sweeping over generalization about rock climbing, you could say males tend to under think and over muscle climbs.

We gave a weekend climbing course at our local crags once, and one of the attendees was a rippling, bulging muscled dude (steroids?) wearing a skimpy shirt. He didn't come back for the second day of climbing because he was consistently out climbed by a tad overweight 15 year old girl with cellulite on her legs. She was smart, kept in balance, used her feet more than her hands, and planned her way through routes.

We tried a lot of sports with our daughter, including climbing, but the one that stuck was gymnastics. Her strength to weight ratio was insane. She could climb up and down the rope hanging from the gym ceiling from a sit start, keeping her legs sticking out straight in front of her, without using her feet at all. The other gymnasts called her The Hulk even though she was as skinny as the rest of them.

I took her to an indoor climbing gym once that had a bouldering cave with handholds on the ceiling of the cave when she was about 10 years old. I was going to explain how to start the climb, by using footholds strategically for as long as possible to save strength in the arms, but she reached over her head, pulled herself off the ground, and levered her feet to the holds using her ab muscles. I kept my mouth shut!

Last edited:
I'm with you on this one. Same thing about running. Biking and some other sports are fun, but long distance running, extreme rock climbing, etc. just seem like a form of torture to me.
Yes and one of the more interesting quirks of humans is the enjoyment of overcoming
a challenge no matter the degree of discomfort.

Sorta reminds me of once thinking, "I'm gonna sail to Hawaii in my 30 footer!" and the
elation of actually doing it. I seldom remember that we basically were wet for 2 weeks.

5f38kb.jpg

Blows my mind too... LOL

Back
Top Bottom