Heat exchanger hose drips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamesorr

My heat exchanger is dripping anti freeze where the one inch hose connects. I have pulled it off and sanded the copper nipple, tried double clamps which actually made it a bit oblong instead of round- nothing works.it still has a slow drip when he warms up.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated

Jim

It could be a hairline crack that opens up when it is hot. Where the nipple goes into the heat exchanger would be my guess. Maybe wipe it while it is dripping and them immediately hold a paper towel by the area and see where the towel gets wet, may take several tries to locate it. It might show up in a pressure test at a radiator shop.

Have you tried a applying a heat gun gently to warm the hose and then tightening the hose clamp.

Check the hose isn't split from overtightening.

I would try applying some Rector Seal 5 (or similar) to the inside of the hose to act as a sealant then clamp. If that does not help, then to me, you probably have a crack or other leak in the heat exchanger. I had a small crack (found due to just such a leak) on my generator heat exchanger. Sent it into the radiator shop for cleaning, repair, and pressure testing. No problem after that.

My heat exchanger is dripping anti freeze where the one inch hose connects. I have pulled it off and sanded the copper nipple, tried double clamps which actually made it a bit oblong instead of round- nothing works.it still has a slow drip when he warms up.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated

Jim

Make sure the the nipple is long enough to double clamp. Both clamps need to be over the nipple, and are not squeezing an unsupported part of the hose.. If the clamps are too wide to fit, you may have to use a single clamp.

Thank you
Never heard of tector but will check it out

That’s”Rector Seal #5”, it’s available at Lowe’s.
It’s awesome stuff, I use it for many things, sealant, thread lube, corrosion protection, hose lube, whatever!

Rector

That’s”Rector Seal #5”, it’s available at Lowe’s.
It’s awesome stuff, I use it for many things, sealant, thread lube, corrosion protection, hose lube, whatever!

This stuff solved the issue - no drips!
Thanks to all for the feedback
Jim

Time to lay in some 'constant torque hose clamps"???
Yup, I need some too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom