Need to replace faucet tub shower diverter 6"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Savalla

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pelican
Vessel Make
MMC
Hi, have a 1986 MMC 42' trawler. Need to replace the shower faucet which fills the tub and also diverts to attached shower. The distance between the faucets is 6". I can find several that fit the bill but none are 6". I would appreciate any suggestions such as where I might search for such an item. Thanks

will appreciate any suggestions, the boat was built in Taiwan.

I replace the shower faucet in our forward head on our last boat. I couldn’t find one with the correct centers. So I used a piece of 1/4” white Starboard and overlaid it on the old holes. Worked great and looks fine. Then I could use the faucet I wanted to instead of just what would fit.

Thanks good alternative. The problem is not being able to re route the pipes. I would have to remove the entire wall covering them. thanks for the response.

I did have access to the back of the bulkhead that the faucet was mounted on so it made it pretty easy.

Can you post a picture of what you have? Is it RV/boat style, with the hose coming off the top? Or is it land style with the plumbing behind the wall?

Most 2-knob home shower faucets with diverters are 6" center, but they have the plumbing to the shower and tub behind the enclosure.

But, there is another thing I am not understanding. If you don't have access to the back, how do you plant to change whatever fixture it is? Normally they attach from the back.

What is on the back of the shower? I've always gotten lucky and had it be the engine room or inside a locker, or somewhere else that I could either access -- or cut an access (that could easily get an access cover vs needing cosmetic repair.

shower Diverter

hi, posted a photo not sure how you find it but its in my album. Tlhanks

To make it easier for others, I downloaded it and attached it here.

I think you are going to need access behind it. What is there?

I'd be looking to install a more standard 4" Marine/RV type fixture.

The easiest thing to do might be to get a thin piece of starboard, cut it to over those holes and sand or route the face edges, drill it for the new faucet, seal it to the enclosure, and then drill through the pre-drilled holes through the enclosure to complete the install, which will likely require accessing the plumbing behind the enclosure.

You could also treat fixing the holes like any other fiberglass repair. I've twice repaired major defects in boat shower enclosures, both more significant than those holes, with fiberglass and epoxy, then thickened epoxy for fairing, and then light sanded and primed and painted the whole enclosure with Awl Grip. The repaired areas looked absolutely brand new.

Attachments

• user12996_pic6909_1624877016.jpg
    user12996_pic6909_1624877016.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom