View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #17
firehoser75
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
No problem Jim, and if that is the way you see as best for you, then go for it!!
However, some additional thoughts for your consideration.
I am by no means a Ranger Tug "basher". They have a large and very supportive following and you see a fair number of them out on the water. To me, that is a good sign.
However, in my opinion, the cabin space on the R27 is very limited for year round use. The boat is at least "half cockpit" and probably better suited to sunnier warmer weather than winter or even shoulder season long distance cruising. Yes, you can canvas it in but that is still not the same as interior space. Winter weather in these parts is generally considered to be mild. We rarely get overnight freezing temps (regularly close but not freezing) and very rarely get daytime freezing temps (however, some winters are worse than others). What we do get is lots and lots and lots of rain, making for a form of "bone chilling" dampness and cold. Also we get many more days with higher winds. Winter boating requires a good source of heat, like a diesel furnace, to be comfortable. Anchoring overnight without this type (non-electric) of heat source would not be very comfortable on many (most) winter days. The boats I mentioned earlier offer larger spaces indoors, good ventilation opportunities for summer, and usually all have good heating systems installed as standard. They also have adequate outdoor space (cockpit and "sun deck") for sunny weather.

Even new boats require maintenance with costs born by the owner. Warranties cover defects and failures. By the 5-10 year mark those should have been discovered and dealt with. Generally fuel costs are higher for outboard motors than for diesels and operating at slower cruising speed (trawlers). Most Ranger "Tugnuts" plane all the time and cruise at 15 or so knots. The other larger Tugs like NT or AT cruise mostly at 7 knots but when asked can run at 15 knots. At 7 knots they burn about 2 gallons per hour. I am reasonably sure that an R27 (with outboard) cruising at 14 knots burns more than 4 gallons per hour??? From figures I can find, it appears that the Ranger 27 averages about 1.5 mpg while an NT 32 will get about 3.5 mpg or a cost increase of $12 per mile for fuel for the Ranger (estimates only). Those costs can add up, however, on average you would spend less time "getting there".

Basic maintenance on a diesel is easy to learn and not terribly time consuming. If you end up in the Nanaimo area and are looking for recommendations for a marine electrician and a good, honest mechanic who will also instruct, let me know by PM and I will send you the info.
Good luck in your decisions and in your boat hunt.