This seems "cheap"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you find attractive about that boat? Other than it’s size

What do you find attractive about that boat? Other than it’s size

It just seems like such a good deal for the right person. I mean a new 40 foot boat is practically the same price. Lol

Rough around the edges but has potential
Great choice of power, I wonder where they are made?
Anchoring gear is light on, surely that's a mistake.
We run 1/2inch chain on ours and have stretched it twice

I think she's "cheap" because she's a simple work boat fit and finish. And much of the interior is not fitted out. To fit her out the way most would want a yacht to be fitted out would be big money. Another thing is "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not for sale or charter to US citizens while in US waters.[/FONT]" eliminates a large part of the potential market.

It does seem like a lot of boat for the money. Not sure what i would do with it but does seem like a good value.

This seems "cheap"

Buy Circumnavigator’s 79 footer, for about 40% of this price, likely as capable, better fit and finish, North American 60Hz AC, 15 feet shorter for those dock$ide stops, thicker steel - and it actually comes with a nice tender instead of just hinting at one.

Last edited:
Ride it out of US territorial waters, buy the boat and bring back. That used to be done years ago. Just remember to put the purchase in the ship's log properly.

Size does matter. Paid crew.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Beautiful boat with potential. It’s much like owning a 4000 sq foot house. Maintenance alone will be a boatload of money, ( pun intended). Your ports are limited to its size. Not for me, but if you have a place for her and love her, go for it.

I looked at all the pics again, all that space, and realized, if I took all the furniture from my condo and put it onboard this boat, I would need to buy additional furniture for the boat. LOL

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not for sale or charter to US citizens while in US waters. [/FONT]

What are the ramifications, reasons for this? Some type tax related I would guess

Another thing is "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not for sale or charter to US citizens while in US waters.[/FONT]" eliminates a large part of the potential market.

Why? Players in that arena work with this all the time.

That ship hollers "commercial".

Hard to think of anything over a million as a bargain, at least for me.

pete

I looked at all the pics again, all that space, and realized, if I took all the furniture from my condo and put it onboard this boat, I would need to buy additional furniture for the boat. LOL

Me, too! :rofl:

A foreign flagged vessel has to be imported into the US with duty paid before it can be sold in the US to a US resident. I think Canadian and Mexican vessels are partially or fully exempt from the process due to NAFTA/USMCA. I'm sure the seller like most sellers would not want to do that any more than I would like to sail a vessel to a EU country and have my plans change then import it and pay duties just to turn around and sell it. According to MarineTraffic, it's flagged in Antigua and Barbuda. I would think that so long as the transaction closes anywhere else you'd be fine i.e. subject to the laws of that jurisdiction instead of the US laws, and a closing offshore in international waters would be subject to the laws and regulations of your intended home base (in the US as a US resident you'd likely have to import it and pay duties - as the buyer :eek: )

It might be easier and cheaper to establish dual citizenship in Antigua and Barbuda ;)

Last edited:
The problem I see is that it is too big and much too 'commercial' to be a couples cruiser. It's too large and "expedition" for most fishing charters. So it becomes a very, very niche commercial charter business requiring a crew with an offshore/charter skillset. The offhsore, long range expedition fishing charter market is VERY small.

If you want a commercial boat, there's many nicer ones for less money.

Where are you gonna dock it? You’ll need a 100’ slip! That’s sure to eliminate the ‘cheap’ part��

And a full time paid professional crew.

AND you cant do the Great Loop on a boat that size. :thumb: Daymned fixed bridges ....

Last edited:
Can't answer the OP's particular question, and its predicate (this vessel is "cheap") is debatable. But, a few things caught my eye:

1) The listing identifies this as a 2013 build, but by then its main engines had for several years been out of production. According to the NP Diesel site, "The Cummins NT855 was produced from the mid 70's to the 90's." Fitting reconditioned engines into a new-build isn't necessarily bad practice, and sometimes there's good reason for it. Some prefer mechanical engines, as these apparently are. But they do seem to be older engines.

2) The listing says the Kubota gensets are keel-cooled with wet exhausts. Never heard of such a thing. By definition, keel cooling eliminates raw water from the cooling circuit, so what's being discharged into the exhaust stream? Keel coolers are indeed visible in the photos.

3) Yachty she ain't, and that nine feet of draft is limiting. She'd never go where I want to go, but she does appear solid and salty.

Last edited:
Where are you gonna dock it? You’ll need a 100’ slip! That’s sure to eliminate the ‘cheap’ part��

Maybe she's meant to be used?
We haven't been on or needed a dock in 5 years.

It was the vessels ability to do that that makes her cheap.
A smaller vessel would have us in a dock often making her more expensive not to mention less comfort at sea and for living.

And a full time paid professional crew.

Why?
Are the throttle levers harder to push forward?

Lepke manages to run an 83 fter single handed a lot of the time from what I have read.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the comments on Fintry.

We saw Chagos on the hard at Fairhaven Ship when Fintry was there for her annual haulout last July. She's impressive, but ultimately the selling price of a one-off boat is what the market will pay. Her price (and Fintry's) will continue to go down until someone buys her.

Jim

Looks pretty expensive to me. Even if it were free, I couldn't afford to run it.

Looks pretty expensive to me. Even if it were free, I couldn't afford to run it.

:thumb: Bingo!!!

Although I am very happy with my 34AT, in hindsight it would have been better if I started with a 41AT.

I have invested too much in this boat and I am too old to start over on another boat.

Back
Top Bottom