Anyone on here with a Viking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Wondering if there is anyone on here with a Viking motor yacht? Whatcha think?

Pros/ cons?

Loved the 55 I captained for a friend. A lot of boat to keep up without pro help.

Not his, this is just a sisteship...

Attachments

• IMG_5639.1.jpg
    IMG_5639.1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Looks exactly like the one I have in escrow

There is something about the lines of a Viking that old or new, sport fish or cruisers that are just nice.

Looks exactly like the one I have in escrow

Detroits?

His handled very well. One windy day, had to back it way out of a marina (several fairways and turns) one engine and bow thruster.

Could track a straight line well..... shifting the good engine and doses of thruster.

Last edited:
I just looked at a couple of listings. I am impressed with they layout and flow of the interior design. It appears to be a tremendous amount of capability for the money.

May your inspections go well!

Still in business and doing well from what I can tell, hopefully customer support is as well.

Still in business and doing well from what I can tell, hopefully customer support is as well.

Interesting. Just looked at their webpage. I'm guessing they sell 10 sportfishing models (or more) for every yacht, but they are making three yacht models, 75 feet and up. Service centers in Florida and New Jersey.

Apparently almost the gold standard in sportfish/convertibles, both build and service. I'd guess the same about the motoryachts they make, too.

They built some of their own motoryachts (as pictured) and they also imported/sold some Princess models under the Viking name for a while. Latter look more European.

-Chris

I just looked at a couple of listings. I am impressed with they layout and flow of the interior design. It appears to be a tremendous amount of capability for the money.

May your inspections go well!

Thank you!

Apparently almost the gold standard in sportfish/convertibles, both build and service. I'd guess the same about the motoryachts they make, too.

They built some of their own motoryachts (as pictured) and they also imported/sold some Princess models under the Viking name for a while. Latter look more European.

-Chris

I was under the impression that Viking built the hulls and Princess finished them out and sold them under their name? Although you do see broker listings as Princess Viking to capitalize on the Viking name.

I was under the impression that Viking built the hulls and Princess finished them out and sold them under their name? Although you do see broker listings as Princess Viking to capitalize on the Viking name.

Actually it’s Gulfstar/Viking. Princess is a model.

I thought Viking imported some Princess models and sold them under the Viking name in the U.S. (Maybe Princess models weren't otherwise imported here during that period?) I'm not very knowledgeable about it, though.

-Chris

Had opportunity to crew on a sportfish a friend owned, captained and chartered out for giant blues. She was amazingly solid. He sold her and got a smaller enriques 38’ but always said how much he missed the bigger Viking.

Last edited:
Right at the top in quality of production sportfish, similar to Hatteras and Bertram but I believe the ownership and solvency of the company has been more consistent and there is a lot to be said for a company with stable and consistent ownership. They (same management or ownership) run Valhalla boats now which are very expensive and well regarded center consoles which is probably the most profitable type of boats to build these days. It is mind numbing what some of those center console rigs and the motors to push them around cost.

I was introduced to Viking around 1988-‘90 at the Lauderdale show and to this day, I’m still stuck on which impressed me more, the boats or the Healey family. The build and interiors were second to none and the Healeys were just ordinary folk on the dock, willing to spend hours with all comers.

In those days, an open invitation to a personal tour of the New Gretna plant was extended as a matter of courtesy and pride.

A class family; a class boat.
The history, if you haven’t seen it.
https://www.vikingyachts.com/main/History.asp

I was introduced to Viking around 1988-‘90 at the Lauderdale show and to this day, I’m still stuck on which impressed me more, the boats or the Healey family. The build and interiors were second to none and the Healeys were just ordinary folk on the dock, willing to spend hours with all comers.

In those days, an open invitation to a personal tour of the New Gretna plant was extended as a matter of courtesy and pride.

A class family; a class boat.
The history, if you haven’t seen it.
https://www.vikingyachts.com/main/History.asp

Gulfstar was a company founded by Vince Lazzara. They built sailboats until the mid 80's and talks started between them and Viking shortly thereafter. In 1990, Viking purchased them. Now, Lazzara designed this boat. They built 18 sailboat models followed by 13 powerboat models. They were designed by Lazzara, built for Viking. To this day, the Lazzara family is great at design and building, although not as successful at keeping companies alive. Over 300 boats were built. There were 35 GS55MY's built from 1987-1990 and sold as Viking 55 Motoryachts.

It wasn't until 1995 that Viking imported Princess Yachts. However, they tool that role very professionally and they had them Americanized and then did everything they could to make them the best they could. Then they supported and serviced them. Oh if the current Princess models were of the quality of the Viking Princess models they'd still be an incredible boat.

I have tremendous respect for Viking and any boat they ever built, had built, or imported.

Gulfstar built in the Tampa Bay area. The Lazzara family has resurrected itself several times in that area.

Viking / Valhalla are clients of mine, have been for a number of years, and I will second all the positive things said here. First-class family ownership, employee family (it really feels like that), and product. Been to their facilities many times and always come away impressed with the operation. I’d love to be able to say something great about the customer service also, but I need to save a few more pennies before I can join that club.

@Donna

Did you happen to be getting yours from near Richmond? A dockmate just sold hers, and that thing is a beauty.

Mid 60's I was aboard my 1st Viking; a 37'er I believe. She was a woodie. Ken and Ilida Woolsey were the owners. Ken, an engineer at Grumman, was on my dad's staff for developing the landing gear on LEM project - the 1st moon landing.

Best Luck!! To You...

The 44 convertible they started building in 82 with twin 671 Detroit’s is a great value and built like a tank. A little tight on the outboard side of the engines, but workable.

Not a motor yacht but we’ve got a 58 Enclosed Bridge sportfish. It’s a 1999 model but solidly built and still going strong.

Viking service and support is excellent, they still carry a variety of parts for our boat.

Back
Top Bottom