View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #41
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post

Yes, exactly the same. I was thinking of painting them "gold" instead of Perkins blue though. I have a buddy with 6.354 n/a's and he keeps asking me when I'm going to repower with Cummins. I suspect he would like to salvage my manifolds?

Have you heard of anyone else other than MESA making them for the NA's. I haven't, other than a boatyard shops who threw one together in their shop. As they said, "It ain't pretty, but it will work just fine." I couldn't believe they even showed it to me. It was built like a Russian tank!!

LB
I don't know of anyone else who makes the elbows....I know Perkins doesn't anymore....and MESA's Stainless Steel...actually cost less than the Perkin's originals when they were discontinued.... TAD sells the Bowman conversion kits and parts.... TAD for Bowman Heat Exchangers, Manifolds & Oil Coolers, Perkins Bowman Manifold Heat Exchanger Oil Cooler 4.108 for the turbo 6.354's. Though they do also sell a complete conversion kit (Bowman) for the naturals. It costs more than the MESA elbows and manifolds per engine.

Depending on how old your present manifolds are....if they are close to 10 years old....they are on their downhill run...more than likely. You should have inspection plates on the top of the manifold....so you can check them out...and FWIW....I was advised by a competent source that "acid washing" the manifold or wet elbows was not a good thing....