Maintenance on Maxwell RC12 Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scurvydog_pnw

Veteran Member
Well getting around to servicing our Maxwell RC12 windlass for the first time. It's about 4 years old but, has seen little to any use. I did the service on the caspain and chain wheel per a great youtube video by Maxwell. That part went fairly easily.

Our manual mentions servicing the lower shaft by dropping the motor and gear box. Question for folks is it really necessary to drop the gearbox? The video for the RC8 just has them spraying CRC on the shaft. Thoughts on this by other Maxwell owners?

The rebuild kit is under $40.00. It includes a new sight glass as well. On our new to us boat, we have a Maxwell 3500 windlass, and it hasn't had the fluid changed since new. It has no leaks whatsoever, and I wonder it would would be possibly to suck out the old fluid with a "dipstick type" oil removal tool instead of having to remove the lower unit to do the job . . .

We did not see any leaks on the unit itself as well so I did not go through the hassle of dropping it. I did pull the top of the unit apart to service it. That was fairly easy.

Back
Top Bottom