for the "go-fast" guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twiisted71

Guru
I mentioned that the boats another member was considering had lots of HP and speed capability when compared to traditional trawlers. It was then bandied about that some among us preferred higher speeds, damn the cost. So in order to not completely derail that thread, here's a suggestion to those who want speed:popcorn:. I grew up in S. La. and was exposed to different boats. People have converted tugs, trawlers,research, ice breakers etc. to personal pleasure boats, so why not oilfield crewboats? I have spent many hours on these rangingin size from 28'ers to over 100' versions with quad 12-71s. They are built like tanks, ride like Lincolns, have huge amounts of interior room, and can usually hustle along at 20+ kts! The following link has a few in the 4x' range just to keep it within reason. But the can be had smaller and much larger.

Broussard Brothers Inc. ABBEVILLE, LA CREW BOATS

Here is another site that has lots of different styles of oilfield vessels, some already converted

http://www.oceanmarine.com/used_commercial_vessels.cfm

Last edited:
Back in the early 80's I took a dive trip to the Bahamas on a live-aboard converted crew boat. Fast sucker it was. Not posh like some newer trawlers might be, but it fit it's use. It had, as I recall, 4 to 5 cabins with double bunks, only two heads though, both of decent size, a big open "salon" space for dining, cooking and living. The aft deck was fully covered, bimini type top I believe. We had to climb up on the roof to get sun.

Twist: One of the "go-fast" pics on your link reminded me of the PCF boats we used to patrol with in the 'Nam days. Anybody know if any of those hulls survived or were converted to pleasure boats?

Attachments

• 417_CB_TERRYLYNN.jpg
    417_CB_TERRYLYNN.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 175
  • pcf45-2.jpg
    pcf45-2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 597
I mentioned that the boats another member was considering had lots of HP and speed capability when compared to traditional trawlers. It was then bandied about that some among us preferred higher speeds, damn the cost. So in order to not completely derail that thread, here's a suggestion to those who want speed:popcorn:.

--------------------------------------------------------

I see the Ocean Marine web page is listing one of the old decommissioned USCG 82' coastal patrol boats for sale. I often wondered what happened to these boats.

Back in the late 70's during the enforcement of the Boldt Indian Fisheries decision, I had the opportunity to go on a fisheries patrol on the Point Richmond. At 20 knots it threw a wake that looked like the Grand Canyon. They were a fun ride!!

Larry B

Speaking of wakes, I'd dearly love to have some artificial device to throw back a double-sized wake to the big sport fishers here in Miami. If you own a sub-50 ft. trawler here, you're a target.

They have a small fleet of those crew boats here to ferry people and supplies between Anacortes and the tankers anchored in the Vendovi anchorage waiting to load or unload at the Anacortes refineries. I like the speed, but the boats are too purpose-built to be of any use to us without a major conversion effort. Plus I don't like steel boats which I believe most of these things are.

If I wanted to, and could afford to go fast one of these is what I'd have.

Affordability is the reason to consider converting one of these commercial boats. That big gleaming white monster is pretty but Gawd Almighty look at the amount of numbers in the price tag!!:cry:

Plus I don't like steel boats which I believe most of these things are.

Virtually all of the crewboats over 30' are marine aluminum, some of the smaller ones are 'glass. The supply and tug boats are usu. steel. The interior "living spaces" on the crew boats are usually pretty square and would lend themselves pretty easily to refitting unlike our purpose built boats that are configured to use as much space as possible by making cramped ERs, and fitting living spaces around equipment and systems.

Hi T 71
I thought I was the only crazy dude to think about that. About ten years ago Petrobras put on auction 4 of those boats aging from 30 to 24 years old. Three were 65 footers and one was a 48’ cat, all in aluminum. They were beautiful boats, and as you said, full of space. The monohulls were powered with DDs but I can’t remember about the cat. They were in a auction package. The buyer would have to buy all in one package. They were all sold without furniture for less than 400K. I followed the buyer to make an offer but he was going to junk them for the aluminum. He offered me the engines which I declined.

Oh I can relate to the want.

This is the old MV Perks an X RCMP patrol Vessel that I almost talked myself into.

But the reality sunk in and it would have been way too much for me to have taken on.

Fun to dream however.

Attachments

• MV Pearkes 074.jpg
    MV Pearkes 074.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 165
  • MV Pearkes 075.jpg
    MV Pearkes 075.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 138
  • MV Pearkes 077.jpg
    MV Pearkes 077.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 203
  • MV Pearkes 056.jpg
    MV Pearkes 056.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
"I'd dearly love to have some artificial device to throw back a double-sized wake to the big sport fishers here in Miami."

Just a bit of POWER!

Our 90/90 has an ancient Volvo MD3B , rated at 35 hp it can produce 45 for short periods of time.

With a 28 fy LWL at 6 -6.5K 1600 it makes almost no wake , .75GPH.

But crank it up to flank , 2500, the transom goes almost 1 foot down , and the wake becomes impressive.

Fun at times on the AICW to pay back some fools that have zero idea/skills to pass a boat painlessly.

They dock early to be assured of slip space , and space at the bar.

FF

I have a listing on a go fast boat. Normally I do not mention any of my listings on this site to preserve the no broker advertising rule but no one here is going to buy this yacht so here goes.
This 101' Palmer Johnson yacht had a refit in 2009, these engines below were installed then after removing a pair of Detroit Diesel 16V-92s. Those old engines were V-16 engines with each cylinder 92 cubic inches.
The new engines are CAT C-32 Acert which are V-12, 1959 cubic inches and 1800 HP. Top speed on this C. Raymond Hunt design is 29 knots with a cruise speed of 22 knots.
The refit was 3.7 million and the yacht was just donated to a charity so it will be a good deal. No mention of the asking price to preserve my amature status here!!!

Attachments

• Moon-River.jpg
    Moon-River.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Moon river engine room.jpg
    Moon river engine room.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 106
yachtbrokerguy said:
I have a listing on a go fast boat. Normally I do not mention any of my listings on this site to preserve the no broker advertising rule but no one here is going to buy this yacht so here goes.
This 101' Palmer Johnson yacht had a refit in 2009

Snip
!!!

Looked it up online. Yowza. I need some new diamond plate in my ER. :blush:

I wont bother to look it up. I couldn't afford to paint that thing. Love those big engines though, something just looks right about them.

After I win the $85 mil in tonights lottery, will I have enough to set foot on it? How about filling the tanks?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom