Looking for a foam sheet for decking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bradlesh

Veteran Member
I am repairing a soft flybridge and i am having trouble finding corecell sheets locally ( in Virginia) . Anyone have any experience with an easily sourced foam sheet that is compatible with epoxy resin for filling the voids? Btw, my core is 1 inch thick. TIA

Have to ask, why has the existing core gone soft and what was it?
Why does it have to be corecell?
Could you not use divinycell, termanto, strucell, nidaplast/nidacore, klegecell, gurit, all compatible with epoxy.

1 inch is VERY thick for a core.

Last edited:
Prior core was balsa. Went soft from total neglect from previous owner. Bimini wasn't waterproof, windows unzipped for 2 years and obviously there is intrusion somewhere but hard to find when entire deck is soggy. Open to other cores just hard to find.

How structural does it need to be?
I am guessing if it's 1 inch core it must be a large unsupported panel that gets heavy traffic?

If it's not highly loaded and they simply used balsa as a cheap filler, XPS may be enough?

I would think about using 2 layers of 1/2” with some glass in between. While I am not a structural engineer, I think it would end up stronger than a 1” core.

The 2 layers of 1/2” should work well in a heavy traffic area.

2 layers of XPS?

I wouldn't
Saying that multihull designer Kurt Hughes from memory used ply xps ply to do bridgedeck panels on large catamarans so that would be up for the job
And I have seen same panels used for cabin sides and roof on other structures.

Logic says that XPS could,would, should work with glass but it would need a much heavier glass layup as the foams compression strength isn't that great.

I should add, those panels I am talking about are much thicker.
BD panel around 100mm and wall roof panels around 50mm so no, I don't think XPS would be a good choice for your project

Last edited:
Are you going to attempt to replace it in place , or lay up the unit on a shop floor?

If it is to be an external layup it is super easy to add stringers for stiffness to the inside , before flipping it over to do the exterior.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom