Thread: Stuffing Box
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Jim Westpfahl

City: Lindenhurst, NY
Vessel Name: MEANDER
Vessel Model: 1984 Albin 36' trawler
You fellas offer some great food for thought. The issues raised about the albin 36 are the same as ours. At my age getting up at night is routine. I'm not thrilled with the notion of climbing over my wife (a light sleeper) to find my way to the head. I tried the v-berth and found it okay, but in need of a "stiffer" foam mattress. The albin 40 we're looking at seems to offer everything we want, except the galley being a bit tight. The wife doesn't seem to mind so why should i get crazy. I'll be doing the grilling outside most of the time. I'm taking my friend, a retired boat yard owner and surveyor with me to evaluated the boat. I've already figured i should take a change of clothes so i can spend time in the bilge, and a plastic hammer to tap the teak decks, and a list of items to check into. Although it won't be a formal survey, it should give me enough info to make a decision of whether we should persue things further (make a bid). By the way, i've never spent this much for a boat; all others have been project boats with a 3-5 year window for perfection. My wife has decided i'm too old to be so involved.
Jim Westpfahl is offline   Reply With Quote