In the market for a trawler!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nzdrew

Hi all, I am looking at a 1972 GB55 - looks like a Europa - three stateroom version. She’s Calle Beaufort There’s very little information online. Can anyone help me with dimensions / specifications etc? The Broker knows nothing about the boat and referring to her as “Hull 37” but google search tells me nothing. I’ve uploaded a picture if that helps identify her. Thanks in advance, Drew

Attachments

• AB5F7D54-AE67-46F7-AD06-B0477AAF4EA9.jpg
    AB5F7D54-AE67-46F7-AD06-B0477AAF4EA9.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 50
Hi all. Excited to find this forum online - hopefully I can get some more info on the GB55 I’m looking to buy. The old girl needs some love but I”m keen to get underway!

Welcome aboard. Have you checked Powerboat Guide, it may have some basic info. I believe that GB went to fiberglass mid 1973 so it most likely is a woodie. Are you experienced in maintaining a wood boat? If not then think twice and then three times and then walk away. If you have experience in maintaining a woodie then have fun. But make sure that the marina will allow a woodie into the marina. Make sure they will haul a woodie. Then make sure you can get insurance on a woodie. I don’t mean to be Debbie Downer but if it is a woodie then you need to have your eyes open when you go into it. There are a lot of people that love woodies but it will eat your life in work and money.

First of all, welcome to the forum! You came to the right place for assistance, as well as a clearing house of information by like minded people.

We had a 1972 GB-36. It was the last year they made wood hulls. Late in the year they did produce some fiberglass hulls though. Is the one you're looking at Fiberglass, or wood?

Nzdrew, I merged the two threads you posted about your GB55

Hi, Drew, welcome to TF. Are you on Matakana Island, or in the Northland town of Matakana, near Warkworth.

As an ex-Kiwi, I'll explain, as there is limited room to do this in the profile on the site.

There is Matakana Island, near Tauranga, in the Bay of Plenty, here... https://www.bing.com/maps?q=matakana+island&FORM=QSRE4

and then there's the town, here.... https://www.newzealand.com/au/matakana/

which is your base, Drew. I suspect the town just North of Auckland, as few live on Matakana Island. However, both look very interesting. Folk on here are always keen to find out about new places. :flowers:

Last edited:
Have never heard of a wooden GB 55. I'm pretty sure it is a GB 50. We owned one for 7 years and loved her! However, ours was in decent shape when we bought her. The only reason we sold was that we thought we were getting out of boating.

Read through the many posts here on buying older wooden boats and what to look for regarding condition. We sold our boat for $215kUS in 2003 and ran into the new very knowledgeable owners several years later. They commented that they love her and had not had to put in money in her. Hard to speculate on price not knowing the condition, having not seen any for sale in quite awhile or being familiar with the Aussie market. A good surveyor will be your best friend!

Tator

Have never heard of a wooden GB 55. I'm pretty sure it is a GB 50. We owned one for 7 years and loved her! However, ours was in decent shape when we bought her. The only reason we sold was that we thought we were getting out of boating.

Read through the many posts here on buying older wooden boats and what to look for regarding condition. We sold our boat for $215kUS in 2003 and ran into the new very knowledgeable owners several years later. They commented that they love her and had not had to put in money in her. Hard to speculate on price not knowing the condition, having not seen any for sale in quite awhile or being familiar with the Aussie market. A good surveyor will be your best friend!

Tator
Thanks Tator. It’s highly likely the broker has the specs wrong. But what could she be? We went aboard a 50 footer. In that one the steering was in the saloon with the galley running down the port side. The dining was against the aft wall so accessed the aft deck through the side doors. It was also up two steps to give height in the stateroom below. The companionway was midships. In the “55” the aft deck and the saloon floor are the same level, the galley is forward on the starboard side and the pilothouse is forward of that and separate. Any ideas!? Thanks for you info re timber. I think GRP of the same age carries more risk - osmosis is the quiet killer…I’m in NZ not Aussie…we hold the America’s Cup and have no bugs, snakes or animals that can kill - apart from our national rugby team obviously! ��

I’ve never heard of a 55. I cruised a bit maybe 30 years ago on a friend’s 57. He had deep pockets but even he found the maintenance daunting. We were sitting in the saloon one day and a compressor came on - I asked him what that was and I think he listed 9 or 10 and there were probably others.

Yeah. I don’t think she is a 55. I recon the broker got it wrong. Just been aboard a 48 and my suspicion is this one is a 50.

IF >>>:

1. You know and understand and like to work on wood boats...

2. You can locate a berth in a marina that will haul a woodie...

3. You can find affordable insurance having good coverages...

4. The wood construction GB is in really, really good condition to begin with...

And, Then - IF >>>:

a. You can get the best [lowest] purchase price in the world...

b. You're a bit crazy with money and work time to burn...

I still suggest you run away! Unless, of course, that GB is fiberglass construction.

Happy Boat-Choice Daze - Art :speed boat:

Yeah. I don’t think she is a 55. I recon the broker got it wrong. Just been aboard a 48 and my suspicion is this one is a 50.
There`s 9% off the ask already:). 5ft shorter than advertised!
What troubles me is you saying she needs some love. Love offered to a wooden boat can be open ended. You have to go into this with eyes wide open. It`s a big boat, with lots of scope for lots of work. Osmosis is not nice either, but starting with a good hull is vital, if that`s compromised even the All Blacks won`t get you out of trouble. I watched an IG50 getting it`s hull rebuilt, not easy, at least your`s is mahogany not meranti.
That said, handsome boat from good design, very tempting. Interior set up could vary depending on initial buyer. Personally I like some seating both sides. Be methodical, decide if it`s the boat you want, survey it to see if it`s worth doing. Do not fall in love,assess it without emotion, be willingly to walk. And read Art`s post above again.

Haha. I think I’m hooked - but I can talk myself down easily enough. When I say love, I mean updating - old electronics / appliances etc. She’s looked after, but original. She has a four year old genset, but the onboard systems are 110v which is annoying because NZ is 240v. Means if the fridge or washing machine shits itself I have a problem….anyone done a conversion - I’m assuming the cabling will be up to it because of the extra current 110v needs to carry. I’m going to handle the analysis in two stages. The boat is 800k from where I live so I’m going to pay a boat builder to go and take a look to give me a “**** - run!” or “for the right price this has potential” kind of opinion. If it’s the latter I’ll get on a plane with the wife and kids and go and take a look. If we like we’ll then do the full survey and see what we can find. There’s no hurry - these boats are appeal to a limited market!

Where is she at present Drew, and do we know if it's a woodie or GRP..?

I loved every wood boat I worked on in the late 50's, throughout the 60's and during early 70's.

However - I also love fiberglass... cause... it cut down my per-boat-workload by 10X +/-.

So... I love not working so hard on my fiberglass boats; but, rather enjoying using them.

It's Just That Simple!

I took a chance on my timber boat and love every plank of hers.

I will do it all over again.

IF >>>:

1. You know and understand and like to work on wood boats...

2. You can locate a berth in a marina that will haul a woodie...

3. You can find affordable insurance having good coverages...

4. The wood construction GB is in really, really good condition to begin with...

And, Then - IF >>>:

a. You can get the best [lowest] purchase price in the world...

b. You're a bit crazy with money and work time to burn...

I still suggest you run away! Unless, of course, that GB is fiberglass construction.

Happy Boat-Choice Daze - Art :speed boat:

Art. I’m buying a timber boat. Get over it. I’m a boat builders son. The old man would turn in is grave if I bought a plastic boat.

I also have never heard of a Grand Banks 55. From the outside she looks just like my 1973 GB50 (hull number 55), except she has an extra porthole on each side, around where the engine room is located. I have never seen this in other GB50s. It could be original as an option or later added. In any case I think those are a great addition and wished I had that for natural light and ventilation in the engine rooms.

Below I enclose some brochures on the GB50 which may give you some of the information you've asked for.

All boats require a lot of work and money, particularly boats of this size and vintage. A bit of plywood rot here-and-there is easy to deal with. Other things are more difficult. For example, having to replace the teak decking can be prohibitively expensive.

What are the engines on the boat?

Attachments

• GB50 schematics color.jpg
    GB50 schematics color.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 28
  • GB50 ad.jpg
    GB50 ad.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 25
  • GB 50 1:2.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 19
  • GB 50 2:2.pdf
    669.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
From what I understand, timber maintenance is pretty straight forward:
1. Start at the bow and begin working your way back
2. When you get done with the stern, go back to the bow and start again

;)

Awesome! This is just what I was looking for. Thinks! She has cat 210 V8. 3500 hours.

Nice engines!

I just re-uploaded the brochure in my post #22, above.

Art. I’m buying a timber boat. Get over it. I’m a boat builders son. The old man would turn in is grave if I bought a plastic boat.

I worked [and played] on/with woodies for over 15 years when young. many yrs. in boat yards and 1 yr. at a new boat builder Basically brought up on woodies. Taint gots nuttin against em!

However... in general... a well constructed fiberglass boat is one heck of a lot less maintenance regarding time and money required.

BTW - I do love the ambience and "soul" of a good woodie; when it's kept in prime condition. That said: I love it even more when my boat maintained time is drastically cut down... which means my boat enjoyment [play] time is ramped way up.

Our 1977 34' Tollycraft tri cabin is a super well built, comfortable, seaworthy, and spacious [for its size] boat. Being a planing hull design it's also relatively fast when desired/required. 16 to 17 knot cruise and 22 to 23 WOT. We go at fast cruise seldom... mainly when wanting to get from point A to B quickly [at 1 nmpg]. WOT is used very limited for emergency [happened twice in last 13 yrs] and for checking out the motors' condition when needed. We usually cruise at 6.5 to7 knots = 2.5 nmpg. 7.58 knots is calced WLL hull speed.

There is no wood on exterior. I call it wash and wear! Interior is pretty with wood and other materials.

Having said all the above - I do still like generally old-school design hulls and superstructure. Tennis shoe boats are not attractive to me.

Different strokes fer different folks. Enjoy all things about your woodie!

Cheers!!! - Art :speed boat:

;)

Yup!

I took a chance on my timber boat and love every plank of hers.

I will do it all over again.

Congratulations!!

When you say "I will do it all over again." That can be taken two ways...

;)

That is true of exterior varnished wood, as common in fibre glass trawlers as in woodies, but not of properly sealed and painted wood.

Congratulations!!

When you say "I will do it all over again." That can be taken two ways...

i will buy her again for twice what i paid for her. don't let the PO know that.

Back
Top Bottom