Liveaboard Narragansett Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's assume that one has the boat for it - yes, I know most if not all of the insulation/condensation/heating/snow & ice weighting/water availability issues involved.

Where might some year-round liveaboard-friendly locations in the Narragansett be? Perhaps a location where there is enough fishing to keep services active throughout the winter but that would still be accommodating for yachties.

It needs to be located in R.I. - so not too far up the Taunton or at New Bedford.

Discuss away :)

I had friends that lived aboard in Wickford for several seasons. I can't recall the name of the marina but it was next to where the DEP boats were berthed.
They also lived aboard for several years at the QDNYC.(Quonset __ Naval Yacht Club)

I know my friend had a long iron bar that he would use to break the ice around his boat. He could have used a circulator but he was too "frugal" to buy one.

I had friends that lived aboard in Wickford for several seasons. I can't recall the name of the marina but it was next to where the DEP boats were berthed.

Safe Harbor now owns Wickford Marina. Word is that the live a boards are gone. Maybe some one else can confirm that.....or not.

I have some experience keeping my boat in the water over the winter in that area. I kept it at Essex Brewers in Essex Connecticut now part of Safe Harbors a few winters ago. They rotated ice eaters around the dozen or so boats there to keep the ice away from your boat. Worked pretty well.

The liveaboards banded together to connect enough hoses to replenish water tanks from the land based bathroom spigot every week or so.

Others have implied that Safe Harbors doesn't allow winter liveaboards any more. Don't know.

Of course the issue with winter liveaboards who can't move their boat during the winter to a pump out is what to do with a full holding tank. I am sure that all of the liveaboards say that they always use the shore based facilities and never dump. Sure they do/don't.

So look for a marina that allows liveaboards, keeps the ice away and has a way of refilling water tanks from a shore based source.

David

Anyone know anything about the East Greenwich marinas in Greenwich cove, south of Warwick?

Last edited:
I have been to both. The Brewer/Safe Harbor marina is nice with a clubhouse and restrooms. The Apponaug Harbor Marina is kind of basic, more like a boatyard with slips.

Also check out East Greenwich Yacht Club. If you are just looking for a mooring you can get into EGY fairly easily and in a couple of years you will have amortised the initiation fee against higher rent at the commercial marinas. EGY beats all of them for ambiance and facilities. But slips have quite a waiting list.

David

Pawtuxet cove has some live aboards plus the local community is cool. Which is why we moved there

Brewers Cover Haven (now Safe Harbor) had live-aboards at one time.

I would also check Safe Harbor Greenwich Bay. Very sheltered. May also check other marinas in Warwick Cove near them.

Wickford Marina had a pretty big live-aboard group as well. But, as mentioned, have been acquired by Safe Harbor so not sure now.

Also may want to check Newport Marinas. Newport Harbor Hotel may allow them.

I am coming up on one year as full time liveaboard in Gloucester MA and have not had one problem with condensation yet,it was a major concern when I was researching before I purchased boat,but with properly vented boat it is the least of my problems,and as far as making the change I wish I had 10 years ago,its an incredible lifestyle filled with adventure and fun

I just met a year round liveaboard couple who is staying at Pawtuxet Cove Marina. It is very protected in there and a quick walk to the village and easy access to Providence and surrounding area.

https://pawtuxetcovemarina.com

Thanks! I imagine a bubbler or circulator is pretty much assumed for most of these protected places - though not always required there will be periods of ice every winter?

Yes you need water movement to break up any ice. The cove has a good river current so likely has decent flow to avoid ice over.

I am walking distance from the marina so if you want more info pm me I am happy to to send pics or answer q’s. Plus if you do winter there I can point out the good haunts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom