Thank You and Moving On.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
We have been cruising SEAK since mid-May and are having a blast. We have met many TFers in Alaska who have thanked me for our information that we have posted and updates on this and other trawler forums. They urged me to hang in there and to continue posting here.

In the month I was suspended I have learned TF needs me more than I need them. I have also found other trawler forums that respect folks who speak their mind in a respectful way. Most other forums have a "due process" in their community rules when things get out of hand.

I have been on this forum for a long time and have made useful contributions and I have read many many other posts that have helped me in the care and repair of ASD. I also have a wealth of information regarding SEAK, Canadian Customs and the amount of fun you can have here. None of that will be posted here.

However, I will be moving on as I no longer feel welcome by those that run this site.

It's a hard choice for me as I really believe most folks here just want to have fun boating and gain information on repairs and new gear. Unfortunately that is no longer the case here. Boating has taken a second place in the forum. I fully expect this post will be deleted and I most likely will be banned for life. But that doesn't bother me anymore, because I now know the truth.

Hope everyone has a great time this summer. Have awesome cruises and most of all BE SAFE!

You will be missed.

Seriously.

members like you are in a minority here, just politics you know, now one less.

Shall we at least try to maintain some grace, some manners?

It wouldn't hurt to at least try. A little.

Such a shame.

I’d like to follow along and learn more about the AK trips.

ASD,
So sorry to hear that you're leaving, I guess I was away for a bit a month ago and missed all the stink. I'm going to have to go back and see what was said to offend someone to this degree. There are plenty here that speak their mind, some forget we are all entitled to a opinion, even if we don't like others opinions they are just that and its only worth something to the originator. I often don't agree with the ideals some express but I still think people have to be able to express their opinion, if I don't like it I don't read it.
Its a big country out there, plenty of room for all of us and our big heads and opinions.
Your posts will be missed,
Hollywood

Today`s Board says the" Boating has taken a second place in the forum" statement is not so.
It would surprise if your posts about boating led to moderation. Easy to post about boating,to the exclusion of all else, if you so choose.

You will be missed quite a bit, but I do not agree with a good part of what you said.

This is a boating site, and we need to leave our politics at the door.

There are conservatives and liberals here. There are vaxers, and anti vaxers here.

but here all those differences go away

Here we are a community of boaters, and focus on the boating topics that are the foundation of our little community.

I hate to see an active and knowledgeable contributor leave. I do hope you reconsider.

One of the things I love about this forum is that it's a smaller group than many other forums, and a larger percentage of the posts are of interest to me specifically, as a trawler owner.

Frankly, it's a shame that we (collectively) have been influenced by media to pick a side and develop animosity for anyone on "the other team." It's disappointing that civil discourse and debate is taboo; like fraternizing with the enemy. We're reduced to hurling talking points at each other, never listening to the other side or acknowledging the nuance in every issue.

I think ksanders' put it better than I can:

You will be missed quite a bit, but I do not agree with a good part of what you said.

Here we are a community of boaters, and focus on the boating topics that are the foundation of our little community.

Hate to see you go

I missed the kerfuffle as well. Politics has become a no-go zone. IMHO we should be allowed to express our political opinions, and differences, in a polite and civilized manner. Unfortunately many people are incapable of doing so.

Boating in the Pacific NorthWest makes it difficult to avoid politics. Wanting to visit Canada leads to COVID, which leads to “vaccines,” which leads to government mandates, which leads to … politics. Visiting Seattle leads to Antifa and BLM, which leads to personal safety and defunding the police which leads to … politics. Fuel prices… yep, politics.

Good luck!

Moving on, good choice, have a great summer ASD, safe travels.

ASD, I do wish you would reconsider.
When I find the find a subject is becoming too political, I remove myself from part of the forum.
I have been chastised once or twice, I take no offense. I figure I deserved it. I try to be more 'vague' in my comments if I elect to remain in that forum. <LOL>

There are conservatives and liberals here. There are vaxers, and anti vaxers here.

but here all those differences go away

Absolutely agree....

I have strong (and, obviously, correct) views on multiple polarizing subject matters, such as politics, corruption, stupidity (obviously of those who disagree with me), vaccines, COVID, etc. BUT, as a lifelong sailor and boater I do not come to the TF to read peoples views and opinions on such matters. I’m here for the shared love of boats and boating and the enjoyable, and very helpful, access to the huge amount of knowledge and experience that this site contains. I can go to other places to read/access/disagree/agree with opinions and commentary that have nothing to do with, or only very indirectly, boats - especially trawler types. Surely others can do the same……..

I missed the kerfuffle as well. Politics has become a no-go zone. IMHO we should be allowed to express our political opinions, and differences, in a polite and civilized manner. Unfortunately many people are incapable of doing so.

Boating in the Pacific NorthWest makes it difficult to avoid politics. Wanting to visit Canada leads to COVID, which leads to “vaccines,” which leads to government mandates, which leads to … politics. Visiting Seattle leads to Antifa and BLM, which leads to personal safety and defunding the police which leads to … politics. Fuel prices… yep, politics.

Good luck!

Good summation of how politics have infiltrated supposedly non political web sites and boating life in the PNW. But for ASD and many serious cruisers putting some miles under the keel is a wonderful antidote for TF malaise.

Tom, you will be missed on here, by me and others. I thank you again for helping get Beachcomber around the coast and to Seattle. You were a welcome addition to the crew of many men and I appreciate you for it.

Safe travels, kiss your bride for me, and keep her catching those big silver things.

Some people just can't avoid making everything political. And some people just can't avoid taking the bait when someone else expresses an opposing political opinion. Frankly, I have to feel a little sorry for both of those types.

My dad taught me every person has something to teach me. It’s up to me to learn. One can disagree without being disagreeable. I enjoy any interaction where I get to hear different ways of thinking. I’m sorry you’re leaving. Keep your keel wet, folks on the boat and moving forward. Best to you and yours.

I not only do not care what your politics or persuasions are, I pretty much refuse to read them here if I start to see them presented. I am working on my mental tape rewind mechanisms to erase "politics" I accidentally read because it makes me feel imposed upon when somebody slips some political crap into the midst of a boating topic. I am happier that way, just as watching as little "news" as I can get away with is helping.

his is a boating site, and we need to leave our politics at the door.

I agree but on many sites it seems some politics are "let in the door" and others not tolerated inside.

I say this having no knowledge about whatever led to this departure.

No idea what the terrible offense was but our society seems to be degrading to mutually isolated echo chambers. We cannot bear someone with a different view. Not a positive trend.

Last edited:
ASD, the first thing I noticed was you made your post and your declaration to leave right around cocktail hour! That's never a good time to make a decision (or even a post), or at least that's been my experience!
Just a little while ago I had a couple of forum members call me a racist. To label me a racist without ever having met me is insane and dead-wrong. So my point is, maybe do like me & be amused by the unhappy little folks on here that take issue with everything with which they don't agree and just use this forum to share boating knowledge. Well, mostly for boating knowledge...sometimes I'll goad some of the real gullible forum members with my posts for my own amusement...

An annonymous person who says they have 'moved on' stops by within 24 hrs of a similar post to claim similar problems?
Really?
Did you move on or is it important to check back and see what is going on?
Even now you are following along ....whoever you might be.
Really funny !!!

There is always the option to reply in a private message.

This is not so much about politics and I agree with those who state this is a boating site not a political or medical stage.

My beef is with the treatment I received from management and the lack of equity.

Don't get me wrong, there has to be rules, but those rules need to be fair and equitable.

Thank you everyone with their kind words. I will be busy cruising our dream this summer.

I have had many TF folks stop by and say hi here in Sitka. I will say this year has been more awesome than any other, even if it is a bit crowded.

Be safe. 20210531_112929.jpeg20210610_180005.jpeg20210519_063356.jpeg

ASD, the first thing I noticed was you made your post and your declaration to leave right around cocktail hour! That's never a good time to make a decision (or even a post), or at least that's been my experience!
Just a little while ago I had a couple of forum members call me a racist. To label me a racist without ever having met me is insane and dead-wrong. So my point is, maybe do like me & be amused by the unhappy little folks on here that take issue with everything with which they don't agree and just use this forum to share boating knowledge. Well, mostly for boating knowledge...sometimes I'll goad some of the real gullible forum members with my posts for my own amusement...
I must say this made me laugh and yes I did post just before happy hour. You might be on to something my friend.

Oh forgot. KEN E interest is piling on my AA. The bottles have dust on them.

Last edited:
Folks – This thread is closed. The site rules are extremely clear. Public discussion about moderation or moderator decisions is not allowed.

It is not the moderators desire to delete posts, close a thread or ban anyone but violations of the rules demand that the moderators do their job and enforce the rules. That is a thankless part of being a moderator but a part that moderators must enforce even when we do not want to.

We are first and foremost a boating Forum so lets focus on boating.

Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom