Old 06-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #8
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I would like to see your complete set up before I made a specific recommendation for you. In general start batteries are different than house batteries. Are all your batteries the same make or are two of the CCA and two of them deep cycle? There is no end to over kill in setting up batteries on a boat. I will give you a general low level arrangement. One 8D set to start both engines 3 deep cycles for house. You should be able to use switches to start either engine off of start or house. All alternators should go to house bank. A smart combiner or DC to DC charger should be used to charge the start battery from the house bank. Do not use a standard combiner, this will cook your start battery. Your battery charger should be wired to the house. If a multi bank charger you can hook it to both banks.

I prefer that generators have their own stand alone battery not connected to the rest of the system. This battery should be cycled out on a regular schedule this is your last line of defense when all else has failed.

This makes the most sense to me. I would summarize it this way.
1. One battery to start both engines
2. 3 batteries combined for the house.
3. All charging sources go to the house back.
4. DC to DC charger from the house to start battery. I am currently using both a Xantrex Echo Charger and a Balmar Duo Charger on my boat. There are likely newer/better options now.
5. Use combining switches to temporarily combine house and start battery if the start battery somehow gets drained.
6. Separate small start battery for the generator.

I use three DC-DC chargers on my boat. Echo Charger charges the engine start battery. Two Duo Chargers charge the thruster/windlass bank and the house bank.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote