Update on Russian Trawler #4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheAtomicDog

Vessel Name
Salty Seagull
Vessel Make
SSP Type 211
I numbered them wrong, so this is update number 4.

Not a lot to show at the moment, but we are still at it.
Forward berthing is insulated, now working on wiring and walls. Dealing with some problems with the portholes and broken screws, boring things like this.
Also, our pier sank. This has caused some delays :). They replaced it yesterday, so progress should accelerate.
Began work in the engine room. I am happy to hear any suggestions on how to clean oily bilges and stop a fuel fitting from leaking. The Russians were quite surprised when I showed them the kitty litter trick. Not because it's clever, but because (in typical western fashion) I solved the problem by spending money :)
I now understand I need to replace the main shaft and add a through hull for a secondary sea strainer. Will haul it out in a few months for that.
In the meantime, I have been accumulating things that will soon start to migrate to the boat:

Attachments

• booty1.jpg
    booty1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 35
  • booty2.jpg
    booty2.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 33
All I can say is WOW!!

I am following two boat restorations on YouTube. (Sailing Yaba and "My first Boat"). Both are very interesting. Yaba is an old rotten wooden schooner being totally rebuilt in Brazil. They post a new video every Sunday and are totally financing the reconstruction with their YouTube postings. They offer sponsorships, sell souvenirs, etc. If money is an issue for you, you might consider taking this approach.

pete

Hi Pete,

I also follow My First Boat. You might also check out Dangar Marine. I highly recommend his channel.
Both are very inspirational. Stu from Dangar Marine bought an old steel boat and has fixed it up and is now on a voyage from Sydney up the Gold Coast. Looks like he is also now sponsored by Raymarine. I have to admit that I have gone with Raymarine because of his experience.

I have thought about the youtube thing, just because the project is so interesting (to me, at least) and so much fun.

It's a boat, so of course there will never be enough $$, lol.

Good to see your update. I/we have missed you.

Good to see your update. I/we have missed you.

Cheers!

Here are a couple of photos of the recovery and replacement of the sunken pier and a shot of interior progress..

Attachments

• sunk1.jpg
    sunk1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 30
  • sunk2.jpg
    sunk2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 27
  • dock1.jpg
    dock1.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 30
  • bootie.jpg
    bootie.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 33
Your boat was sunk, now the pier sinks, are you sure you want that marina?
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom