Lewmar Foot Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diverrob

Vessel Name
Sounder
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
Hey everyone

I am in need of the hive mind. I need to replace my Lewmar foot switches and don’t know if the new versions will work with my windless. My local chandler has new switches in stock but could not tell me if they would be compatible with my system. I have an older system 2007ish and the switches are three wire. The new switches are only two wire and I’m not sure if I can make them work. Below are a few pictures to help. Any info would be appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• BF382A17-363B-4F6A-80C3-C91FC38144EA.jpg
    BF382A17-363B-4F6A-80C3-C91FC38144EA.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 0EE9720F-B7F4-4596-AF6C-844EEE4E5D6E.jpg
    0EE9720F-B7F4-4596-AF6C-844EEE4E5D6E.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 20
  • D53DA22A-81F2-47DD-9AAF-DB1C948CC3AB.jpg
    D53DA22A-81F2-47DD-9AAF-DB1C948CC3AB.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 26
  • 93153CF1-95A2-42EB-BFFA-BB7A2E7E055D.jpg
    93153CF1-95A2-42EB-BFFA-BB7A2E7E055D.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 9B93D1CA-B26B-4AD6-B377-2C177D5BA530.jpg
    9B93D1CA-B26B-4AD6-B377-2C177D5BA530.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 20
From the looks of the underside, those support being wired for Normally Open OR Normally Closed switch use. One of the wires is going to go unused. A regular switch is typically open and only closes the circuit when you press it (this is the N.O. position).

How is it wired now? Is it just using the black and blue wires, leaving the gray not part of the circuit? If it's not using the gray NC wire then you'd likely be good with any other normal deck switch that also operates as NO.

Last edited:
I will need to poke around a bit more to see how it’s currently wired. Honestly I thought it would be as simple as splicing in a new switch (??).

It probably will be simple, but unless a boat is "brand new" you're at the mercy of whatever may have been done to it in the intervening years.

It shouldn't be too difficult to eye up how it's wired now. Just find the other end, presumably at the junction box for the windlass solenoids. On my EB47 that's under the forward berth. The control wires come down from the flybridge, to the lower helm and then on to the solenoid control, along with wires down in from the bow foot switches. The much heavier gauge power leads come from the batteries to a breaker on lower helm (taking a detour to a hidden fuse panel close to the battery itself) and then to the solenoids.

It's entirely possible the 3 wires coming out of that switch head into a connector and only two of them come out the other side. If find such, make note of the condition of that connector. It's corroded then now would be as good a time as any to put something better in it's place.

Nothing to add, but out of curiosity what's wrong with the originals?

Both up and down are now sticking in the closed position and so I can’t use them. I was hoping the switch could be opened up and cleaned however the switch is a micro switch and not repairable.

Ok got it sorted and as was mentioned above the great wire is not used on my system only blue and black. Now to put it all back together ? Thanks for the help with this one

Rob

I'd ditch the foot switch and install a wireless remote. I have 2 remote transmitters on FW and and use them very often from the FB helm, lower helm and bow. On my 34, the range limit is just short of my cockpit.

I'd ditch the foot switch and install a wireless remote. I have 2 remote transmitters on FW and and use them very often from the FB helm, lower helm and bow. On my 34, the range limit is just short of my cockpit.

where did you mount your receiver mine is at the lower helm it reaches to the dock off my stern on my 38.

Why not both?

The downside to all the wireless remotes is their quantity and their batteries. I've got several different remotes for various things and no two of them use the same battery. AA, AAA, coin (in various sizes), etc. That and just when you need it the battery is inevitably dead... and corroded inside. Range on some are decidedly worse than others.

Im struggling to see the advantage of adding yet another way to control the windless. I already have three positions to work with (fly bridge, lower helm and locally at the windless). If I’m missing out on something let me know but at this point I will stick with my current setup.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom