Bristol information/history

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewharbour

Hello All

Great forum here and some excellent information and experience. I’m looking to come over to the dark side and trade sails for steam (diesel ;).
I have a line on a Bristol 42 but having trouble getting info such as build quality, areas of concern, market price.
She has twin Perkins 6354’s , 1970, far condition with glass decks but perhaps neglected for at least a few years.
Thoughts on quality? How about those Perkins? Tanks vulnerable like the Taiwan builds? US build I believe but factory did shift to India and possibly home finished ?
Thanks

Welcome aboard. Not familiar with that boat. Good luck.

Thanks guys
That does seem to be the extent of the info I could get. Strange that the sailing world seems to do a far better job of capturing build details and boat reviews for brands and models.
I’ll assume that Bristol is above average quality for a boat of that era. Perhaps more consistent than most Taiwanese yet below Grand Banks.
It’s the owner finished aspect that worries me most. I’m not sure I’ll be able to tell the difference between owner and factory finished 50 years on.
I’m also wondering about tanks and decks. These decks are glass but I’m assuming started as teak over originally.

My father owned the first Bristol Offshore 42', hull #1.
As I remember, the hull was glass and the superstructure
was made of wood. At least the flying bridge was wood
because I remember he had to rebuild a section of it.
The decks were most definitely overlaid with teak because
it was my job to clean them!

Don't remember if it had a single or twin engines, and
certainly know nothing about the tanks. One thing that
stands out was that the aft cabin had a single bunk bed on
each side of the cabin. I've never seen that layout before
or since.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom