View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 05:10 AM   #13
boomerang
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
You're right, the garboard drain doesn't look too bad but you'll sleep better with the new one installed. I hope you photo-document the engine intake replacement since that task will be upcoming for us.
I would really think hard about new the thru-hull external shape strainer you're going to use. I guess the scoop-type is a little more expensive and I know you mentioned you were going with the round style since you had a slow boat. I don't know where your pickup is located because ,as we've all seen, Mainship seemed to change the building plans with each model. Out intake is located on the port side between the inboard & outboard stringers, kind of beside the transmission. The transducer for 1 of the fishfinders is close to the same area. It's a flush mount transducer, with the face being roughly the same size as the round strainer you plan to use. When I push the speed up to above 8 1/2 -9 knots (2000 rpm & more), I start to see turbulence on the screen. At that speed, yes the engine temperature does come up and we have the scoop-type strainer. I'm wondering aloud if not having the scoop would cause the less-than-clear water flow that is evidenced by the fishfinder picture to raise the temp even more. Sometimes , like last year when we were trying to make a bridge on time, I was glad I was able to push ours without the engine overheating.
I'm not trying to be your typical know-it-all forum pundit but like I said, I'm just thinking out loud. Now is the time to be sure which strainer you want to use.