Old 06-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #5
Gdavid
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
I don't know how it's sealed since the threads are straight and not tapered! I have a new 1 1/2" perko seacock assembly so I suppose the time to replace it is when the engine is out.
That is odd but not a surprise, there are all kinds of shenanigans with thru-hull fittings. My valve has been replaced with a non-flanged ball valve so that is tapered but it is screwed directly onto the non-tapered threads of the thru hull, which I assume to be original. I'm going to use one of the flanged adapters that Groco makes to make the transition, it has a triangular base with a straight-female thread on the bottom and tapered male plug on top. It is secure and makes for pretty simple replacement of the valve it it goes bad, it is less sturdy than a flanged valve directly on the hull but it is a good compromise in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
I also just found out yesterday ,from this forum, about MrCool. I suppose I'll order one of those Perking combination coolers to replace the current one, just as a matter of principle.
Gee wiz! The list of to-do's while we're hauled keeps getting longer!
I believe that tractor supply has the hoses and fittings that I need to route my transmission lines back to the original position, you won't need to do this but I'll let you know if they work as it is a convenient and cheap source.

How close to the hull is your oil pan? Mine is darn near touching on both sides in a section where the pan widens out. I can turn the prop shaft pretty freely by hand so I don't think my motor mounts are sagging which would throw off the shaft alignment. I'm using disposable roaster pans to span the sump of the hull, under the engine and transmission to hold oil absorbent pads in place under old leaky but it is hard to get pans in place in this area. While I'm on the hard, I'm planning to really get the bilge clean and hopefully keep it clean through aggressive pad placement and addressing whatever leaks can be addressed from above.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote