Fire hose type deck wash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ofer

Guru
Vessel Name
Unicorn
Vessel Make
1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
I would like to have some extra volume and pressure on my raw water wash down system on board.

Commercial fisherman seem to have it.

What do they use?

I was thinking to use a pool pump with pressure cutoff to make my own.

Did anyone venture down that path?

Thanks

title SB Fire Hose

Instead of a pool pump, look at shallow well pumps. They are meant to supply pressurized water and usually come equipped with a pressure switch. They probably won’t supply more pressure than a marine water pressure pump but they will supply more volume.

Instead of a pool pump, look at shallow well pumps. They are meant to supply pressurized water and usually come equipped with a pressure switch. They probably won’t supply more pressure than a marine water pressure pump but they will supply more volume.
That is what I use for house fresh water, endless volume and pressure. It does require 120VAC however. I use a Grundfos pump.

not sure a well pump was made to withstand salt water.

I think that a pool pump may be better designed to function in a corrosive environment.

Following as I have an Onga Balboa spa pump that I saved from the spa we used to have on the foredeck.

I saved it for just this purpose but the 24v deck wash pump we have now is still doing its job.

Most commercial fishing boats use hydraulic water pumps and stay away from electrical ones. If that's not an option, you might investigate large commercial AC electrical pumps, which are available in bigger sizes than pool pumps.

You may very well have to enlarge the hull value so as to supply enough water to the pump.

Commercial fishermen use larger pumps than the average yachtsman. 1 hp or larger. Belt drive, ac motor drive, hyd drive or engine driven pto.

I use a 120/240v rated at 24 gpm. 1" pipe in and out. I use a 3/4" hose.

Attachments

• Jet_Pumps_CI.pdf
    962.1 KB · Views: 38

Attachments

• C4E1A43F-6DEA-4D75-B238-5397926EB648.jpeg
    C4E1A43F-6DEA-4D75-B238-5397926EB648.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 111
If you desire lots of pressure ad volume it takes large source inlet and a powerful pump.A wellpump is great volume , but not a lot of pressire, usually under 60psi.

On our 90/90 we selected a 2inch Jabsco belt driven clutched pump .

This is used as an emergency bilge pump and as a deck wash/fire pump.

At over a grand there not cheap , but if you want over 100gallons per min, its the way to go.

If it's just for blasting mud off of chain and washing decks
And you already have an inverter running 24/7 like we do
A $150 Karcher is probably the solution.
These are the ones using a composite pump and are used in the cheaper lower volume waternakers.

The water pump is made with engineering-grade polyamide and glass fibre to produce N-COR; a pump as strong as steel and completely corrosion-free, for life.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/karcher-1400w-1750psi-k2-plus-high-pressure-cleaner_p6270694

I have one and have used it several times
And for pressure blasting the bottom of the tender
Am considering building it into the new deck box/lounge/day bed when I build it.

Back
Top Bottom