Ontario - Nova Scotia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff F

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Now that the boating ban in Ontario has been lifted I'm underway. In the Thousand Islands for a week or so then up to Ottawa on the Rideau Canal and then down to Montreal and out the St Lawrence.

COVID is still a big concern here and currently the Maritime provinces are closed to visitors. My hope is that at some point that'll change. I'm staying flexible. I'm also planning to enter the US in the fall. That seems reasonable.

Anyone here headed that way? Looks like I'll be traveling solo most of the way, so also happy to meet folks along the way. Reach out - I'll be flying my TF burgee.

Jeff

It's a great trip. We did it in about 2012.

My only suggestion would be to have a contingency plan if you get down the NS coast and find you can't come into the US.

It's a great trip. We did it in about 2012.

My only suggestion would be to have a contingency plan if you get down the NS coast and find you can't come into the US.
I'm OK with wintering in NS. At this point the bigger concern is entering the Maritimes. I'd like to get to Saguenay in any case. From there it's either east to NS, south to NY via the Chambly Canal or back to Lake Ontario, depending on restrictions.

Greetings,
Mr. JF. Nice place to anchor right behind our house. 45.22266840783735, -75.67791668327787. Top of the bay is a rock bottom. Better holding opposite the town dock. At least 5' depth in the channel leading into "Mahogany Harbour". Stay in the middle of the channel.

About 5 minute walk into town from dock (day use only). Groceries, liquor, pretty good hardware store, restaurants

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1jV7qH6pzdnDNFlv0kVDCZ2JXUhE&hl=en&ll=45.22320656716432%2C-75.6815530359131&z=15

Last edited:
The Chambly Canal is a beautiful day, and the Chambly Marina at the base of the canal is very convenient for walking into town and watching boats pass through the flight of locks at the end of the canal. You will also find good docking in St Jean at the southern end of the Chambly.

The Chambly Canal is a beautiful day, and the Chambly Marina at the base of the canal is very convenient for walking into town and watching boats pass through the flight of locks at the end of the canal. You will also find good docking in St Jean at the southern end of the Chambly.
I'd love to go up the Chambly, and have a season canal pass. One obstacle for me is that they don't allow solo operators.

Greetings,
Mr. JF. Nice place to anchor right behind our house. 45.22266840783735, -75.67791668327787. Top of the bay is a rock bottom. Better holding opposite the town dock. At least 5' depth in the channel leading into "Mahogany Harbour". Stay in the middle of the channel.

About 5 minute walk into town from dock (day use only). Groceries, liquor, pretty good hardware store, restaurants

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...n&ll=45.22320656716432,-75.6815530359131&z=15
Found it! I've passed that fork before and never took it. Nice spot.

Water level are at record low for the time of the year. If you need to go through Rideau I would not wait too long. If situation persist I would be surprised to see some closure along the way.
Saguenay river cruising is just impressive, the fjord is really something.
Be sure to be well informed of tides, starting at Quebec they are quite impressive, I once saw a boat go backward while at full throttle trying to beat the tide and the current lol.

L

Lou, I've been hearing about drought conditions around here, but there don't appear to be any water level issues on the Rideau. I'm pretty much through, in any case.

Water levels in the Thousand Islands are noticeably low, especially compared to a couple of years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom