View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #12
Hippocampus
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Above has it right change in water content caused your problems. One of the reasons white oak is so good for steam bending. Amazing amount of work went into your project. Must be heart breaking to have your problems.

Several ways to go. It’s the rub rails that’s the real problem.
Leave rest as is. Replace rub rails with oak.
Use epoxy and clamps or Dutchman in new pieces to fix existing rub rails and ?paint them to hide repairs.
Use epoxy and screws to fix rub rails and cover with canvas.

Personally I’d probably replace with white oak. You obviously know how to do it, have the tools and jigs and depending on how you stain/finish the contrast might be real pretty.

We had left over balau from a deck for our dirt dwelling . Tried to make kayak long term storage racks from it. Couldn’t do it. Just took multiple sheets of left over standard exterior plywood and scroll saw to follow the contours and glued/screwed them together. These exotic woods require knowledge I don’t have. They dull blades in two seconds. They shatter when machined. They can’t be torture bended and hold the new shape. They’re hard to stain evenly. Incredible durable and beautiful but so hard to work with. Even have to be careful with google to learn. The same name can be used for different woods and a particular wood can have different names.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote