HELP - Can't crank after grounding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to hear. I would sample the oil you have in there before you replace it. I would sample it again after some number of hours (20?) especially if you see "bad stuff" reported on the current oil's sample.

Greetings,
Mr. PT. Thanks for the update.

iu

On our multi-state trip home disaster struck. My fault, I got stuck in low tide not watching what I was doing. Boat listed pretty good to starboard. I tried backing out but heard the props scraping the mud and knew it was too late so I stayed put, dropped anchor. I shut down so that I would not clog the strainers and decided to wait it out. Tide comes up and we get unstuck but I can not start port engine. It doesn't even turn a revolution. Next day I check oil level and it's overfilled. Suspect some sort of hydrolock - Call CAT for emergency service ($$$). Due to the severe angle of the boat water entered the crankcase from the muffler through the turbo outlet. We drained and added new oil. Still unable to crank. Then removed valve cover & injectors on the starboard side of the port engine and found no water in cylinders. Tried cranking with those 4 injectors removed and again no cranking. I will add that we also removed much water from the muffler and opened up the exhaust manifold to remove more water. Still can't crank this engine. We then tried to manually rotate crank with big breaker bar. We were able to but this was very difficult (much more than stb. engine to compare). Something is still preventing the crank from turning easily. FYI, I am able to rotate prop shaft while in neutral so no restrictions underneath.
The only thing we have not done is check for water on the port side cylinders of this engine. Our thought is that we hand cranked the shaft enough to remove any remaining water.
The CAT guy is stumped. He returns Tuesday to put things back together. Called a few other folks and got them stumped too
All was going so well on our way home after 4 good travel days (including transit through the East River & Hell's gate) but now we are stuck on the upper Hudson. This has been a tough, expensive nightmare and not sure how its going to end but I am starting to worry.
This may sound off the wall, but remove the drive belt (fan belt) just to be sure nothing happened to any accessories. I say this because I know of a case where someone was told that their engine was seized. I removed the serpentine belt and the alternator was frozen. The drive belt had enough traction that the starter would not turn the engine. It's a long shot but worth the 5 minutes it will take, Good luck.

On our multi-state trip home disaster struck. My fault, I got stuck in low tide not watching what I was doing. Boat listed pretty good to starboard. I tried backing out but heard the props scraping the mud and knew it was too late so I stayed put, dropped anchor. I shut down so that I would not clog the strainers and decided to wait it out. Tide comes up and we get unstuck but I can not start port engine. It doesn't even turn a revolution. Next day I check oil level and it's overfilled. Suspect some sort of hydrolock - Call CAT for emergency service ($$$). Due to the severe angle of the boat water entered the crankcase from the muffler through the turbo outlet. We drained and added new oil. Still unable to crank. Then removed valve cover & injectors on the starboard side of the port engine and found no water in cylinders. Tried cranking with those 4 injectors removed and again no cranking. I will add that we also removed much water from the muffler and opened up the exhaust manifold to remove more water. Still can't crank this engine. We then tried to manually rotate crank with big breaker bar. We were able to but this was very difficult (much more than stb. engine to compare). Something is still preventing the crank from turning easily. FYI, I am able to rotate prop shaft while in neutral so no restrictions underneath.
The only thing we have not done is check for water on the port side cylinders of this engine. Our thought is that we hand cranked the shaft enough to remove any remaining water.
The CAT guy is stumped. He returns Tuesday to put things back together. Called a few other folks and got them stumped too
All was going so well on our way home after 4 good travel days (including transit through the East River & Hell's gate) but now we are stuck on the upper Hudson. This has been a tough, expensive nightmare and not sure how its going to end but I am starting to worry.
Another thought is if the raw water pump is gear driven, did something get sucked into the pump housing and is binding the timing gears through the pump shaft? Again, good luck.

Oh happy day.
I spent a lot of money on CAT service but I think it could have been a lot worse.

Rejoice! The boat lives to drain your wallet another day!

Salt goes WAY up the river, past Albany.

I've cranked seized engines by hand with liberal amounts of Marvel Mystery Oil or the equivalent squirted into each cylinder. They sometimes started and ran more or less fine.

RE SALT in the Hudson river...

In fact, most of the Hudson is actually a tidal estuary where salt water from the ocean combines with freshwater from northern tributaries. This “brackish”, or mixing, water extends from the mouth of the Hudson in NY Harbor to the Federal Dam in Troy, approximately 153 miles.

https://www.riverkeeper.org/hudson-river/basics/#:~:text=River%20Keeper&text=In%20fact%2C%20most%20of%20the,in%20Troy%2C%20approximately%20153%20miles.
https://www.riverkeeper.org/hudson-... most of the,in Troy, approximately 153 miles.

Andiamo;

Do not want to hijack the original thread but did want to respond to "Salt in the Hudson River". The point water is considered to be the salt front, usually defined as water having 100mg/L chloride normally ranges south of Poughkeepsie, except in times of severe drought. The sources of the Hudson River are all fresh water with a constant flow to the ocean which varies depending on rain fall/snow melt with historical information available from both USGS and New York State DEC. Above the salt front the salinity of the water is quickly reduced as you proceed north.

My marina is 7 miles south of Poughkeepsie and zinc anodes and exposed metal parts just do not deteriorate like areas south of the salt front.

Hi Leonard,

I just remember when I lived up there I learned there was salt as far north as Albany. I never tasted it or anything :) But I know when the tide comes up the river flows both ways (up near shore and down in the middle) and that was what got me looking into it. It was only 30 years ago though so I had to look up the details at River Keeper.

did the mechanic remove all the injectors and then try cranking. If there is water on top of the pistons from traveling up the exhaust then it won't crank.
undo the sump plug take out the injectors and there should be nothing stopping it turning over.
of course I could be wrong.

did the mechanic remove all the injectors and then try cranking. If there is water on top of the pistons from traveling up the exhaust then it won't crank.
undo the sump plug take out the injectors and there should be nothing stopping it turning over.
of course I could be wrong.

The boat is underway on its own power. You should read all posts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom