Cetol not lasting long!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drinkenbuddie

Vessel Name
Indian Summer
Vessel Make
Marine trader Europa 36
I remember when you could put cetol on your boat and get 4-5 years out of it? I had and island packet so definitely not new to the Varnishing world. I have a Marine Trader and sure noticed that they must have made cetol more environmental friendly or maybe making it just not last long to sell more products. I use to put three to four good coats and then a coat of clear on top and not worry about it so much but sometimes maintenance coats but would hold up good but now it seems to fault way faster???

How is it failing? If there are seams, or the wood flexes or anything that lets moisture under it, it won't last.

I can't say I've ever gotten 3-4 years out of a Cetol job. I've always gotten by with 1-2 maintenance coats annually and was happy. The heavily-used teak like a teak anchor pulpit I had on a previous boat required constant attention to keep looking good. Our current boat only has the protected teak trim thats under cover (around the salon door in the cockpit) treated with Cetol and we can't get 2 years out of it without it starting to look grungy. I used a new can this spring so we'll see if it is any different than the stuff in the past.

My island packet didn’t have teak on the pulpit and this trawler sure does. I’m just wondering if they are making it more environmental friendly? I’ve seen some that just paint but I just can’t seem to do that.

Believe me. I’m getting to old for this and my next boat won’t have any outside anyway!

I went to painting the teak due to the short life of Cetol. Love it and love the look.

When we used Cetol and when we were starting from scratch, we'd laydown 3 coats of their natural and then 3 coats of clear gloss. That gloss is where the UV protection is I've been told. Then every year or 18 months we'd put 2 more coats of the gloss. The last time the cap rail was stripped was 2012. It was do when we sold Hobo in March. The failure areas as rslifkin pointed out are the seams on the top of the cap rail. They'd flex and brake the finish. Even with its short comings, I prefer it to varnish.

I used Cetol on my boats years ago. The key to making it look as good as varnish is in doing the same prep--cleaning and sanding that you'd use for varnish. Then, when wood is completely dry, apply 3 coats 24 hours apart when humidity is relatively low. Make the 3rd coat clear gloss if you want to...I always liked the semi-gloss look. Every succeeding year, lightly "sand" it with fine bronze wool (never use steel wool on a boat, it rusts...bronze wool doesn't), then apply one new coat. It continued to look as good every year as it did the first year.

--Peggie

I used Cetol on my boats years ago. The key to making it look as good as varnish is in doing the same prep--cleaning and sanding that you'd use for varnish. Then, when wood is completely dry, apply 3 coats 24 hours apart when humidity is relatively low. Make the 3rd coat clear gloss if you want to...I always liked the semi-gloss look. Every succeeding year, lightly "sand" it with fine bronze wool (never use steel wool on a boat, it rusts...bronze wool doesn't), then apply one new coat. It continued to look as good every year as it did the first year.

--Peggie
Temperature is very important too, follow manufacturer recommendations. I used some under full sun in a very hot day and it was drying too fast, result was horrible.

L

THANK GOD for no exterior wood anymore!:dance: I did my time in varnish purgatory.

Attachments

• DSC00115.jpg
    DSC00115.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Trying to get 4-5 years from Cetoal is asking too much of the product. Maybe 6 coats in the PNW will make it 5 years but I doubt you can get that in Florida.

Try Awlwood, it’s more expensive but takes only two days (3 is better) and then you should make it 5-6 years in Florida.

Back
Top Bottom