On the BC Coast with my new Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Chilly,
Welcome to the forum from across the Salish Sea. The places to go and explore on the BC coast that are within the capabilities of your boat, once you are properly prepared, are practically endless. Enjoy all that your boat and the area has to offer.
Who knows, we may even allow our American friends to come back too. :) Just kidding Tom (ASD).
That would be awesome!

You bet it would Tom, and not just so that our American friends can again start to enjoy all the area has to offer. It would also mean that most of this mess (Covid) is behind us, and that, my friend would be a very good thing :)

I thought I saw something here about you living in Alberta, maybe another thread. But I'll throw this out there.

There are two marinas in Comox, public (larger) and private (smaller). You would be surprised at how many in these two marinas are from Alberta. They fly out from horsey land, arrive in Vancouver, jump on Harbour Air and land literally at the private marina where my boat is. When you step off the aircraft, you are about 40 yards away from my boat.

Many like it in Comox (and Campbell River) as you are on a jumping off point for all the best boating in BC - Desolation, Broughtons and points north. Fishing is pretty good close to my marina as between the two marinas is the put in area for trailered boats, most of them fishing addicted. I do know later in the fall last year, I could here guys talk about the fish they caught, I think they are mooching. I heard one women advise a party just going out to fish, they were catching salmon at around the 160 foot mark.

In fact, in this very put in area, in early November the marina was visited by three teen Orcas in the late evening. So I was walking on the jetty about twenty feet away from these three Orcas. Some feel they were coming in looking for a tasty seal snack.

Welcome aboard! I'm in the same area these are great waters to cruise for sure.

Hi Everyone,

Excited to be on the beautiful BC Coast with my new (new to me) 1978 CHB trawler.
Been enjoying and learning from so many excellent posts.

Cheers Chilly:pirate:

Hello and welcome, from the North Coast of BC ! (boat moors in Port Edward during the summer months).

If you decide to venture further north, do keep us posted.

Hello and welcome, from the North Coast of BC ! (boat moors in Port Edward during the summer months).

If you decide to venture further north, do keep us posted.

For sure, we have not ventured that far north ... yet ... retirement is just two and half years away so we have plans to cruise!

Hey Chilly welcome aboard... From Ladysmith.... Always ficxing something on my trawler. Have a 1980 Hirshine 37.... Cheers!

Hi Everyone,

Excited to be on the beautiful BC Coast with my new (new to me) 1978 CHB trawler.
Been enjoying and learning from so many excellent posts.

Cheers Chilly:pirate:

Congrats on your new boat and on being able to use it in BC. It doesn't get any better than that! I bought my first trawler at the end of 2017 and went right up to BC. I spent the entirety of each boating season up there. My daughters started telling people that I lived in Vancouver. I miss it so much!

Cheers!

Welcome Eliza Jane -
I, too, recently bought a CHB34 and am on the learning curve. Since the demise of the Yahoo CHB owners group I have made a list of CHB owners and I will add your name to it. I look forward to seeing you on the water!
Do you have any equipment problems? Are your tanks good?

Nick

Welcome Eliza Jane -
I, too, recently bought a CHB34 and am on the learning curve. Since the demise of the Yahoo CHB owners group I have made a list of CHB owners and I will add your name to it. I look forward to seeing you on the water!
Do you have any equipment problems? Are your tanks good?

Nick

Hi Nick sorry for not getting back to you sooner as we've working hard on upgrading our CHB "Eliza James".
Where is your boat moored, we are in the Gibson's marina slip G58.
Much of our electronics are original or very old so I've been working on upgrading and replacing wiring as I go. Fuel tanks were replaced about 20 years ago to aluminum so far so good.

Hope to see ya out there this July/August.
Cheers
Chilly

Hi Chilly - sorry about getting your name wrong!
I am moored in Coal Harbour, Vancouver, at RVYC.
Look forward to seeing you out on the water.
Nick

Planning on joining the Gibson's club, but the big plan is to cruise to see our grandkids in both in the Cowichan on Van Isle and in Squamish but are new to ocean cruising and a little nervious.

Belated welcome from another new CHB 34 owner! We just bought ours at the end of March and are still getting to know our boat. Our marina has a boat lift, so I'm always watching for other trawlers, and especially CHBs.

Congratulations and welcome to the group. I'm happy to see another CHB owner on the coast. My Son lives in the Cowichan Valley so I'm sure we'll be docking in Nanaimo one of these days. What is the name of your marina?
Cheers,

We're at Newcastle Marina. The boating south of Nanaimo, in the Southern Gulf Islands is amazing. We took our last boat, a little MacGregor 26M, over to Gibsons our first season, on our way up to Secret Cove and Pender Harbour. It's a lovely place, but the walk to the grocery store from the harbour is a bit of a slog. Lol

Hello Dragonflyer,
I am also a recent CHB34 owner in BC (Coal Harbour, Vancouver). I am building up a list of CHB34´s, following the demise of the CHB Yahoo forum. May I ask where you purchased your CHB? (Previous name, if different) Also, do tell us all something about your boat - original tanks? Teak decks still? Engine comments?
Thanks, and welcome.
Nick

Hello Dragonflyer,
I am also a recent CHB34 owner in BC (Coal Harbour, Vancouver). I am building up a list of CHB34´s, following the demise of the CHB Yahoo forum. May I ask where you purchased your CHB? (Previous name, if different) Also, do tell us all something about your boat - original tanks? Teak decks still? Engine comments?
Thanks, and welcome.
Nick
Hi! We purchased Dragonfly this spring from Sidney, and kept the existing name. Fortunately teak decks had already been removed, as well as fuel tanks. New stainless tanks have about half the capacity of the cast iron originals. Most updates done two owners ago. Surveyor said it was one of the best condition CHBs of that vintage he'd ever seen. Saw the insurance survey from the previous owners, and a different surveyor said the same thing.

Today I found a CHB34 tri-cabin social group on here that was created a couple of years ago, but doesn't seem to be active. Suggest we could hop on there and revive it.

Thanks Dragonflyer - I was not aware of this social group although, as you said, it has been basically inactive. I signed up. A rendezvous would be appropriate . . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom