Old 06-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
Xlantic
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsgrace View Post
The dinghy specs says 113 lbs, and the ourboard is 85, so with gas, say 210 lbs. This woudl be teh weight I have to lift. The riggin that rasies and lowers the boom has a 5:1 advantage.

I assume I would raise and tower the boom to raise and lower the dinghy, and the traveler would be used to move the dinghy inboard or outboard
No, I believe that normally the up-and-down is done by a pulley system at the end of the boom, not by raising-and-lowering the boom itself when under load.
At least that is the way it is my current GB50 and a prior GB42. But then, you have 5:1 advantage while mine has been 2:1 for raising the boom. Also, I have not had a traveller so am not familiar on how your rig is meant to be used.

Below are some photographs.

The first one is of my earlier GB42 with 2:1 tackle for the mast-to-boom and 4:1 for the boom-to-dink.

The second one is a Jackson Pipe Davit I later installed on the GB42, as I had a very heavy dinghy wishing 550 lbs. which I carried on top of the house..

The third is my current GB50. It has a sailboat-style winch at mast-end of the boom which I use on a 4:1 tackle for raising a Laser sail boat (I tow the dinghy). Sorry, it is hard to see in the picture as it is hidden by the line.

I found the manual winch too much like hard work, particularly given the vertical distance to the fly in my boat, so now I use a cheap 220V hoist which I attach to the end of the boom when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruby - 1.jpg   pipe davit - 1.jpg   winch - 1.jpeg