Dinghy Davit rigging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godsgrace

Vessel Name
God's Grace
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
I am under contract for a 1985 GB 42 classic. It is configured so that the tender is stored on the trunk, so it it would be lifted and launched by the boom and mast davit with a manual self tailing winch (Harken #16ST winch). The current onwer has never used this, since he has a larger dinghy that he tows. I can see how boom can be raised and lowered. But not sure how to attache the dinghy to the boom. It also has Harken traveler, which can be slide back and forth on the boom. Seems like there shoudl be some type of pullly attached to the traveler which could be connected to a dinghy harness.

So basically, my question is what do I need to do to make this work? What kind of rigging on the boom do others used for this purpose? Can i just ask some riggers to look at it

A picture would help.

I had a similar system using the boom on my 50ft Cheoy Lee.
I used the self tailer to hoist / lower the end of the boom. I made this into a 4:1 purchase.
I then mounted a 1800lb ATV 12v winch at the base of the mast running the wire up to a block under the gooseneck and then to a block at the end of the boom. Worked great.
Once I marked the halyard where it needed to be at the self tailing winch.
It was push button to hoist or lower the dinghy.
Hope this helps.

I am under contract for a 1985 GB 42 classic. It is configured so that the tender is stored on the trunk, so it it would be lifted and launched by the boom and mast davit with a manual self tailing winch (Harken #16ST winch). The current onwer has never used this, since he has a larger dinghy that he tows. I can see how boom can be raised and lowered. But not sure how to attache the dinghy to the boom. It also has Harken traveler, which can be slide back and forth on the boom. Seems like there shoudl be some type of pullly attached to the traveler which could be connected to a dinghy harness.

So basically, my question is what do I need to do to make this work? What kind of rigging on the boom do others used for this purpose? Can i just ask some riggers to look at it

How heavy is the dinghy you want to raise? Depending on that you will need a more or less robust solution.

Are you lifting a reasonable amount of weight? Hopefully yes, so perhaps begin to pull on the lines while using a trial light weight and get an understanding of how to utilize your rigging
I have a 1972 Grand Banks 42 Classic and do not use the mast and boom for moving the dinghy. When I bought the boat, an 11' Achilles rib and a 20 hp honda were added in at the last moment. The Achilles is approx. 125 lbs and the outboard about the same. On 1st attempt it was very clear that 250 lb was too much to lift. Perhaps separately it could be done, but I towed the dinghy for the going home 80 mile cruise. Eventually purchased the St Croix davits rated for 400lbs and drilled the holes in the transom, swim platform and backing blocks. The davits have a 9:1 pulley advantage but it took the gravity of allowing myself the fall back after a step up onto the gunnel to get lifting on the engine end. The bow comes up with little effort. 2 months ago, I had carpal tunnel revision and wrist denervation surgery. Yesterday I made a preliminary fastening of a self tailing winch rated for 1800 lbs. The weight is far more manageable this way and I'll talk with a machine shop to bend the 1 1/4" u bolts to 1" for a tighter hold on the davits

Winch temporarily attached

Attachments

• 20210608_080640.jpg
    20210608_080640.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 42
The dinghy specs says 113 lbs, and the ourboard is 85, so with gas, say 210 lbs. This woudl be teh weight I have to lift. The riggin that rasies and lowers the boom has a 5:1 advantage.

I assume I would raise and tower the boom to raise and lower the dinghy, and the traveler would be used to move the dinghy inboard or outboard?

Sorry, I don't have pictures.

The dinghy specs says 113 lbs, and the ourboard is 85, so with gas, say 210 lbs. This woudl be teh weight I have to lift. The riggin that rasies and lowers the boom has a 5:1 advantage.

I assume I would raise and tower the boom to raise and lower the dinghy, and the traveler would be used to move the dinghy inboard or outboard?

Sorry, I don't have pictures.

Relying on the spec sheet for weight, when specifying capacity of your lifting apparatus?
Add the weight of a foot pump, a pair of oars, minimum safety gear, spare can of gas, etc, will get you to 250# before you blink.
Then there is the issue of weight on the trunk cabin, which may not have been designed for that extra weight, plus your own weight when up there beside the dinghy doing up/undoing the attachments. Not to mention the engine impeding passage around its resting location on the stern deck.

All of this makes the PO's solution of towing a larger dinghy a more reasonable solution.

I assume I would raise and tower the boom to raise and lower the dinghy, and the traveler would be used to move the dinghy inboard or outboard

No, I believe that normally the up-and-down is done by a pulley system at the end of the boom, not by raising-and-lowering the boom itself when under load.
At least that is the way it is my current GB50 and a prior GB42. But then, you have 5:1 advantage while mine has been 2:1 for raising the boom. Also, I have not had a traveller so am not familiar on how your rig is meant to be used.

Below are some photographs.

The first one is of my earlier GB42 with 2:1 tackle for the mast-to-boom and 4:1 for the boom-to-dink.

The second one is a Jackson Pipe Davit I later installed on the GB42, as I had a very heavy dinghy wishing 550 lbs. which I carried on top of the house..

The third is my current GB50. It has a sailboat-style winch at mast-end of the boom which I use on a 4:1 tackle for raising a Laser sail boat (I tow the dinghy). Sorry, it is hard to see in the picture as it is hidden by the line.

I found the manual winch too much like hard work, particularly given the vertical distance to the fly in my boat, so now I use a cheap 220V hoist which I attach to the end of the boom when needed.

Attachments

• Ruby - 1.jpg
    Ruby - 1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 22
  • pipe davit - 1.jpg
    pipe davit - 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 21
  • winch - 1.jpeg
    winch - 1.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Latest posts