threaded nipple came off on oil filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
1. how to install nipple properly back on engine? Lock tight or thread locker needed? tighten with channel locks?
2. how to prevent? I only hand tighten filter. oil on filter threads or other lubricant?

any suggestions welcomed, thanks.

Jamey

Attachments

• 20210530_173858.jpg
    20210530_173858.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 27
You mean the nipple that goes from the engine to which you install the canister type oil filter??

Yeah, that shouldn't happen. I'd soak it for 10 min or so in MEK or engine cleaner solvent, then use some green (permanent) thread locker on the engine-side threads. Use a piece of thick cloth and some channel-locks (vice grips) and tighten it into the filter holder. The cloth is to try to minimize the inevitable gouging. Be careful to avoid damaging her the threads on both ends. Give it a day then reinstall the filter.

That smooth area is to grab it with a wrench without damaging the threads. If you look carefully, you'll see some light marks from a prior tightening (or loosening).

That looks really clean, which is a little odd. If have expected so me type of thread sealant.

Having said that, I wouldn't use lock tight or similar on that piece. Save that stuff for bolts the next owner will need to mess with :) It really isn't for pipe thread.

I'd just use some pipe thread sealant paste. I like then permatex high temp for applications like this.

You don't need to lock it in place with thread locker.. The principle here is that the nipple should be solidly (but not crazily) wrench tight -- and the filter hand tight, maybe plus a hair. If one does this, backing out the filter won't back out the nipple.

Remember, the filter need not be tight to seal, it has an integrated rubber gasket at the top. It just need to be tight enough so that gasket is securely engaged all around and so that it won't spin itself out.

If that nipple came out, I have to assume that it came out because it wasn't wrench tight originally, or the filter was ocer-rightened, or both.

If it ever gets cross threaded and damaged, you'll be really glad you used only a thread sealant and not something that'll take more than a wrench to undo. Powerful thread lockers can powerfully secure a small screw -- think about the surface area of that pipe thread.

He makes a good point. It doesn't have to be threadlocked if you can get it wrench tight and don't over tighten the filter. I'd try that first.

Yup, tighten the nipple w/o anything on the threads first ie channel locks and a rag.
How did it come out? When you removed the oil filter?
I have had worker "hand tighten" stuff that almost takes a pipe wrench to undo. LOL
My seawater strainer caps say "hand tighten" and workers torque it down to the point where I need pry bar to undo.

The point is, there is no universal standard for "hand tight."
Maybe someone did not lubricate the gasket on the oil filter cartridge prior to installing it?

IMO best tool for that is a needle nose vise grip. The nose is small enough to fit just the smooth area and strong enough grip to tighten for that application. Get them at big box stores.

IMO best tool for that is a needle nose vise grip. The nose is small enough to fit just the smooth area and strong enough grip to tighten for that application. Get them at big box stores.

Sounds good. :thumb:
but dont get carried away with tightening.
Something else to consider is to replace the nipple with a new one. Maybe over the years the threads have 'stretched' and or grown tired??? Just a theory.

Sounds good. :thumb:
but dont get carried away with tightening.
Something else to consider is to replace the nipple with a new one. Maybe over the years the threads have 'stretched' and or grown tired??? Just a theory.

Absolutely, get a new one, but could argue to get it from the engine mfg and not Home Depot.

Also, agreed, no lock tight. Just a good pipe sealant, or Locktite Blue (can remove easily).

Mine used to come off as well. Tightened it up using a rag to grip the pipe. Didn’t stay so it would still come off once a year during filter change. I just would put it back every time. Not a big deal.

Having recently spend over 100 man hours removing bolts that were overly dosed with red Loctite, all I can say is don’t over do it.

In this case, I might use a dab of blue Loctite, but noting more.

Thank you for the replies. They are helpful. I spin on the filter until the gasket meets the flange and then hand tighten about 1/2 turn additional (per manual) and lube gasket.

I hesitate putting anything on the threads in fear of possibly introducing anything foreign into the oil. There appears to be nothing on the threads original from the manufacturer (if this nipple is original). Maybe that's for a reason. At any rate, even if I just screw it back to the engine hand tight and then spin on the filter, it will all tighten up together I think. If it comes off again next time so be it as jleonard said. Getting vice grips in there may be difficult given how the housing protrudes, and I don't want to gum up the threads if I can't reach the flat portion of the nipple. Someone mentioned finding two nuts that will fit the nipple and putting them on and binding the nuts together on the nipple so that I can then fit a wrench on the nuts and wrench the nipple on that way (gently). Maybe I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom