Lewmar Thruster controller failing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foster Nordic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lesser Light
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32
Hi all;

I have a 2008 Nordic Tug 32 with a Lewmar bow thruster - it works and has never actually failed to work ... but.... there is an interesting problem I'd like your help with.

When I push the Power button to activate the thruster controller, I hear a relay or solenoid "click" sound from up near the thruster itself in the bow; and the joystick controller lights come on. But frequently the lights immediately go out and I have to push the Power button a second time - again hearing the same "click" sound up front and then they will stay on. Occasionally it takes 3 tries before it will stay on. Anyone else have this experience. Could the solenoid or relay up front be starting to fail?

Thanks - any inputs are very welcome!
Don

It sounds to me as if the remote switch is sending power to the relay, but the relay is not actuation fully. The first place I would lock for a problem is the ground connection going to the relay and the ground connection to the windlass motor. Be interesting to follow this thread.

It sounds to me as if the remote switch is sending power to the relay, but the relay is not actuation fully. The first place I would lock for a problem is the ground connection going to the relay and the ground connection to the windlass motor. Be interesting to follow this thread.

Sorry for the typos. I should have known it was not a wise idea to attempt to type this post on my phone's small keyboard.

I recall another thread recently regarding a Lewmar thruster. For that one, I think the problem was deterioration of the thruster controller itself. I think it was on the flybridge and had weather/corrosion issues.

I will be interested to see how this pans out. I also have a Lewmar. My flybridge controller sometimes needs to be pushed twice. I am too far away from the solenoid to hear anything. But I may be heading down the same path as it path. I'll try and fnd the old thread....

I had the boat with the bad Lewmar remote and related TF post.. If I recall correctly the remote switch assemble has three wires feeding into it; a power input feed and two return legs, one each to trigger the relay into port or the starboard thrust mode.

To test the system simple jump these wires from the power feed to each separate leg going back to the relay. If the thruster works in both directions, with no clicking or issues, the problem has to be a bad switch. While testing allow the thruster a moment to come to a complete stop prior to shifting into the opposite direction of power.

When my remote switch failed it would not function at all going to port, but it worked find in moving the boat the other direction.

Looking forward to hearing other suggestions.....

Joe

Often a cleanup of the wires and contacts at the switch with a spray like Corrosion Block can work wonders. Especially on fly bridge connections.

Brian, with your upper helm controller sporadic, did the lower helm controller work OK?

Mine has done the same thing (minus the clicking noise...I don't hear any) since I bought the boat 5 years ago. Sometimes it'll take a couple attempts for the thruster to turn on. Since it's always worked on the second or third try, I've never investigated further. I'll be curious if someone here finds out if/what the problem is.

FYI...my only control is in the pilothouse where it stays nice and dry. This thruster and control were installed in about 2008.

Often a cleanup of the wires and contacts at the switch with a spray like Corrosion Block can work wonders. Especially on fly bridge connections.

Brian, with your upper helm controller sporadic, did the lower helm controller work OK?

Yes, at least I think so. I can't recall having to try more than once on the pilothouse switch.

Follow up Lewmar controller

Just to finalize this thread, after talking with Lewmar it turns out that the controller itself was faulty - I bought a new one on ebay for $150 and everything works fine. The controller has some internal electronics that start to fail; apparently not an uncommon problem.

I had a different problem. My 140TT Thruster started on it's own in the middle of the night. Yes... I left the main switch on which would have solved the issue. Anyway, my controller is in a dry wheel house and the thruster is dry too, no moisture at any end. Unfortunately, thruster ran long enough that all the plastic components melted and it's toast - also a definite fire hazard (SHUT OFF YOUR MAIN SWITCHES). I've had multiple conversations with Lewmar and they now have what they call Gen 2 compliant joystick, control cable and a blue box converter that wasn't available when I bought my thruster in 2018. BTW... no one from Lewmar ever contacted me about this issue and I'm registered w them re warranty, etc.

I also have a lewmar BT . I bought the boat last fall. My bow thruster did nothing but click when I hit the switch. I was talking to a friend in Mobile who was a marine mechanic. He suggested tapping the top of the motor with a screw driver handle. Bingo! He suggested that it might be the brushes. I have no idea how to get to the brushes. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
The motor must be rebuilt. Brushes are part of any rebuild.
I also have a lewmar BT . I bought the boat last fall. My bow thruster did nothing but click when I hit the switch. I was talking to a friend in Mobile who was a marine mechanic. He suggested tapping the top of the motor with a screw driver handle. Bingo! He suggested that it might be the brushes. I have no idea how to get to the brushes. Any suggestions?

Power light button come on ?

My Lewmar thruster suddenly stopped working; fine leaving slip in morning, nothing on returning that afternoon.

My joystick power button did not light up. Does that suggest the joystick itself is at fault ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom